Why become a member? ×

Pondering a DIY cab build!

Big Mick

I still don't know if my Peavey TNT150 combo is viable to repair, so I've been exploring the idea of a DIY cab build for my next project.

If the TNT is easily (and cheaply) repairable, then it will be done. My thoughts are leaning towards using the guts of it (and it's 2x8 powered extension cab) to build either a BFM Omni 15 TallBoy or a fEarfull 15/8/8 (modified 15/6 or even a separate cab for the 8's). Also separating the amp section and mounting it in it's own rack/case.
I did consider improving the original combo by fitting side handles and better castors and re-covering it, but if I'm breaking out the router then I figured I might as well build from scratch.
My unanswered questions are really revolving around how much improvement in volume/tone/low end range I might see over the original Peavey cabinets.
The amp is rated at 150w RMS into 8 ohms, has a built in variable crossover and in the combo is easily capable of holding it's own in the practice room.
I mostly play classic rock/metal/doom, so the fuller, rounded bottom end is important to me (snigger), lots of Sabbath, KISS, AC/DC, RATM etc. One of my basses will be strung B,E,A,D when it's time for a restring.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Cheers, Mick. :)

P.S. The Fakenbacker isn't mine!

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1012680' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:34 PM']AFAIK the TNT uses a Blue Marvel driver, which is OK for a combo, but I wouldn't put it in anything else.[/quote]

Hmm, interesting observation Bill. Can you expand on the reasons for your advice (I'd like to know as if the driver is still useable, then a new one is a major expense).

[quote name='umph' post='1012739' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:22 PM']intrested in why you want to use two 8's over a single 6 in the fearful design? Thats gonna end up extremely bright.[/quote]

Only cos I've already got them in the extension cab. I'd probably have the brightness pretty much dialed out anyway, but it would make the cab more versatile.
It's only an idea at the moment, I need to see what the news on the TNT is first. But I fancy doing a build anyway!

Cheers, Mick :)

Edited by Big Mick

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1012742' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:30 PM']Only cos I've already got them in the extension cab. I'd probably have the brightness pretty much dialed out anyway, but it would make the cab more versatile.

Cheers, Mick :)[/quote]

Slightly confused, you'd be better off just following the original fearful plans, or going for the tall boy. There really wouldn't be an advantage to running a pair of 8's full range and if you did cross them over they'd dominate the 15, assuming you're using ones of a similar sensitivity

[quote name='umph' post='1012751' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:39 PM']Slightly confused, you'd be better off just following the original fearful plans, or going for the tall boy. There really wouldn't be an advantage to running a pair of 8's full range and if you did cross them over they'd dominate the 15, assuming you're using ones of a similar sensitivity[/quote]

I see your point, as I said it's just an idea at the moment. If people can explain why things won't work well then I'll take that on board and adjust my plans accordingly.

Cheers, Mick. :) itching to do a DIY build!!!!

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1012693' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:42 PM']Hmm, interesting observation Bill. Can you expand on the reasons for your advice (I'd like to know as if the driver is still useable, then a new one is a major expense).

Cheers, Mick. :)[/quote]Building a well engineered cab is a lot of work. IMO it's a shame to get less out of a good cab than its capable of giving by using inferior drivers.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1012855' date='Nov 5 2010, 02:33 AM']Building a well engineered cab is a lot of work. IMO it's a shame to get less out of a good cab than its capable of giving by using inferior drivers.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Bill, I understand your point now and a valid one it is too!!!!
I was doing some research on Peavey products last night and couldn't find info on what actual driver was fitted to TNT 150 combos, the Blue Marvel was fitted in the TNT 115 and others (according to Peavey records) but no mention of the 150, it's a mystery. When I get it back, I'll have a look and see what is actually in it. But I'm pretty sure you'll tell me that a new Eminence driver will be far superior anyway.

Edited by Big Mick

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1012978' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:16 AM']Thanks for the reply Bill, I understand your point now and a valid one it is too!!!!
I was doing some research on Peavey products last night and couldn't find info on what actual driver was fitted to TNT 150 combos, the Blue Marlin was fitted in the TNT 115 and others (according to Peavey records) but no mention of the 150, it's a mystery. When I get it back, I'll have a look and see what is actually in it. But I'm pretty sure you'll tell me that a new Eminence driver will be far superior anyway.

Cheers, Mick. :)[/quote]

I replaced the speaker in my TNT115 with an Eminence 15" driver - the difference was stunning.

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1012978' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:16 AM']Thanks for the reply Bill, I understand your point now and a valid one it is too!!!!
I was doing some research on Peavey products last night and couldn't find info on what actual driver was fitted to TNT 150 combos, the Blue Marvel was fitted in the TNT 115 and others (according to Peavey records) but no mention of the 150, it's a mystery. When I get it back, I'll have a look and see what is actually in it. But I'm pretty sure you'll tell me that a new Eminence driver will be far superior anyway.

Cheers, Mick. :)[/quote]

AFAIK, the TNT150 was fitted with either a Scorpion or a Black Widow as standard, depending on the year. I'd have said yours looks to be a BW.

A

You can probably make a better cab using the Black Widow driver, but it won't be the cabs you have mentioned, they are built round other drivers with very different properties. Have a look in the cab and see if the driver identifies itself, then google the name and 'Thiele-small', see if someone has taken measurements. Then its all WinISD-Fu.

[quote name='Alien' post='1013397' date='Nov 5 2010, 11:18 AM']AFAIK, the TNT150 was fitted with either a Scorpion or a Black Widow as standard, depending on the year. I'd have said yours looks to be a BW.

A[/quote]Looking more closely the driver has squared edges. BWs have a round frame, as do the Blue Marvel(low end Eminence OEM, actually), so it's probably a Scorpion. If it is the same as the current SP-15825 it's a fair enough driver, but not worth putting into a fEarful or Barefaced type of box. It would work OK in an Omni 15, but with 3.1mm xmax is only good for 150 watts, so it would be a limiting factor in the long run.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1013481' date='Nov 5 2010, 04:32 PM']Looking more closely the driver has squared edges. BWs have a round frame, as do the Blue Marvel(low end Eminence OEM, actually), so it's probably a Scorpion. If it is the same as the current SP-15825 it's a fair enough driver, but not worth putting into a fEarful or Barefaced type of box. It would work OK in an Omni 15, but with 3.1mm xmax is only good for 150 watts, so it would be a limiting factor in the long run.[/quote]

Spoke to the shop today, it seems that a good service and maybe a new pot (not sure which one) should sort the distortion/noise issues. Also there is a broken baffle plate somewhere which is rattling. They seem confident that it will be ok when done.
The guy also said he would think the driver is a scorpion or black widow, he will check when it's in bits.

With my high school level physics I'm beginning to understand the reasons why I'm being advised against using a certain driver in a specific application. :) and I will use these factors to decide what type of cab I will build.

Thanks for all the input guys, you're helping to point me in the right direction.