Why become a member? ×

Modded EHX Bass Micro Synth **SOLD**

DanOwens

[size=4][u][b]NOW SOLD[/b][/u][/size]

This pedal's ideal for those of you who want to get into synth bass playing (I've used this in DnB, dubstep and hiphop acts).

Any of us that play synth bass tell you you need 3 things: Octave, Fuzz and Filter. The BMS has all this and more.

Previously the MicroSynth had a fixed sweep and was a real tone-sucker. With these mods the pedal is now fully true bypass and you can control the filter cutoff with the included Moog Expression pedal (unless the pedal is detached, then it reverts back to it's normal slider-controlled state). Also, there's been an LED added that displays whether the pedal is engaged or not (I can't believe that I had to have that added!!!).

There's one main cosmetic bit of damage which is that the cap of the 'rate' slider has broken off, but that's not really relevant when you use the expression pedal and it's still easy to slide even if you're not using it.

All mods done by our very own Umph (Mammoth Audio).

I'm at work now, but will upload pics later. In the meantime, here's a vid of a guy who's done the same mods ([u][b]watch from 5:30[/b][/u] onwards to see how awesome this pedal is):

I'm after [b]£175 (including postage)[/b] for this pedal. That includes the Moog expression pedal (£35 new) and these mods (£50).

Dan

PS Will consider trades. Need reverb (or M9/13).

Edited by DanOwens

Had some interest (I promise pics soon).

Until then, here's a link as to why the older version is better than the XO (note the negatives of tone sucking have been dealt with with the true bypass mod I've had done).

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88770&view=findpost&p=844813"]CLICK [/url]

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1012275' date='Nov 4 2010, 04:40 PM']Until then, here's a link as to why the older version is better than the XO (note the negatives of tone sucking have been dealt with with the true bypass mod I've had done).

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88770&view=findpost&p=844813"]CLICK [/url][/quote]

I totally stand behind everything I said in that post. I don't have a BMS at the moment (for the first time in years) but it's one of my favourite effects ever, and this older 24v model is simply better than the newer XO one. It sounds absolutely massive.

Also, a friend who looks a lot like Natalie Portman was over at my flat once when I was trying out some new sounds with my BMS and she yelled from the other room "THAT SOUNDS ****ING AWESOME". This is all the encouragement you should need.

I didn't have the expression mod on mine though, and I have some questions:

Can you still set the filter sweep time with the rate slider after that mod is done?

If so, is there a toggle to switch between the rate slider and the pedal or do you just drop the trigger slider to zero to use the expression pedal?

Does the expression pedal simply take over full-time from the stop frequency slider?

What if you unplug the expression pedal - can you use the stop frequency slider instead?

Edited by thisnameistaken

If the pedal is plugged it, it bypasses the filter-sweep section entirely, allowing total control of the cutoff by the expression pedal. This is handy for total sub as you just leave it half-cocked.

If you unplug the expression pedal, the filter sweep section becomes active and functions just as it did before I had it modded.

The mod came about as I initially modded the pedal myself to put the 'engage' switch on the end of a cable and mounted the BMS on a music stand. That meant I could do the filter sweeps with my hand, but meant I couldn't really play at the same time.

Sweeping this thing back and forward is just HUGE! But now, you can create lots more interesting sounds by having it half-cocked (I've done Muse, Moloko, Chase & Status and much more with it).

Dan

Hey guys,

Noticed the unit is a bit scratched and one corner has some corrosion so I'm knocking some money off. Now £165 posted.

Here's some more photos:

You can see the slight corrosion on the corner by the switch here:

You can see the scratches, damaged slider and modified status LED here :

You can see the new expression input here:

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

Having owned the XO edition I can confirm how much better these older units are... With the mods included this is a serious bit of synth kit. For people that don't want a thousand £ worth of moog pedals, this really is the next best way of getting those huge fat droning synth tones.

Buy it!!!!