Why become a member? ×

Hayman 4040 Bass Lefty NOW SOLD

ash

This is a rare left-handed Hayman 4040 bass that I bought recently as a restoration project. I believe its original apart from a lost logo, replaced serial plate and some typical lacquer cracking and paintwork that has been touched up in places. The electrics are all original and work as they should, the bass plays well (it's set up right-handed) and the neck is straight with little fretwear. The scratchplate is perspex with a black backing (painted?). The bass sounds superb! I'm looking for around 350 and I'm willing to post within the UK at buyer's expense. It's a great piece for any collector or player. PM me with any questions and I'll do my best. I'm selling because of a move to a smaller property.
Hayman basses were made by the people who went on to form Shergold guitars and were an important part of UK instrument manufacturing history.

[attachment=62815:hayman4040bass.jpg]

Please note I won't respond to any personal messages from scammers. Please leave this forum and its legitimate members alone. We've all heard these ridiculous sob stories many times before don't waste our time and insult our intelligence. Cheers.

Edited by ash

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1008875' date='Nov 1 2010, 07:05 PM']I watched this on ebay, went for a good price, have you done anything to renovate it?[/quote]

Yes, cleaned it up, set the bridge and action. I touched up some areas where the lacquer had gone down to bare wood on the inside of the cutaways. I cleaned the electrics and resoldered some dry joints and resoldered the jack. Sounds great, the original seller said he thought the electrics were dead but they just needed work.

[quote name='michael-faces' post='1009739' date='Nov 2 2010, 04:16 PM']This bass really reminds me of Shergold Marathons. Really cool![/quote]

Yes very true, the Marathons were very similar as was the Modulator bass. The early Marathons were actually made from rebadged Hayman parts. The MKI Marathon had routing under the scratchplate hidden by a large rectangular pickguard this was to house the 'vibrosonic chamber' that the Hayman 4040 pickups were mounted to!

[quote name='basslondon' post='1010269' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:47 AM']Didnt a certain Mr Mark King use a Hayman Bass similar to this on the "Early Tapes" Album, before they got a deal with Polydor and gave John Diggins a bit of a lift?[/quote]

I don't know about that but I know Rob Green (Status) and John Diggins had some connection with Shergold. Very versatile bass the Hayman 4040 the pickups can give a very Rickenbacker grunt with full treble and neck backed off but the neck has a real P bass punch.

• 2 weeks later...