Why become a member? ×

Hi Folks

Gray

Hi All,

Just to introduce myself.

I'm Graham, and I've been playing bass for about 15 years. I've played styles of music from Jazz to Reggae to metal to etc etc.

I teach music theory in a college in the sunny North of England.

I'm a bit of a gear anorak (comes from being a sound engineer as a living) - currently basswise

Ibanez Musician Basses (Fretted & Fretless versions)
Ashbory Rubbery Thing

Akai Deep Impact
Akai G Drive
Akai Hexacomp
Boss Tuner

Markbass LMK
Ashdown mini 15 + mini 48 cabs

Cheers

Hi Pete,

Living near Huddersfield to be precise.

The ashbory is a brillant instrument but is has some substantial 'quirks' in terms of playability.

1) Intonation - Very hard to get accurate intonation due to scale length above about the 7 'fret' - the dot markers on the neckside are hopelessly inaccurate. If your not switching instruments you get used to it but going to the ashbory from a full scale fretless results (for me at least) a few bars of 'jazz improv'.

2) String Squeak / Talcum Powder issue - without the application of talc playing results in all manner of squeaks and a very 'sticky' feel. This means that wearing black for gigs is right out.

On the plus side its got a totally unique sound with a wide tonal range and the short scale allows for some impossible stretches.

Other than that its worth having just for the 'wow' factor. I use mine as a backup live....

Cheers

Graham