Why become a member? ×

Road Worn Jazz pups hot?

gazza19

So..sold my 62 re-isue jazz because the sound wasn't punchy enough and bought a MusicMan Bongo, loads of punch!
OK, so far very happy with the sound of the Bongo.....but still miss not having a Jazz, (only allowed one bass at a time she says).
I just should't have gone in that music store yesterday and they shouldn't have had a road worn Jazz, and the sales guy just shouldn't have plugged it in and handed it to me. I know they are not to everyones taste but I just love the retro & relic thing but I didn't expect it to play so well. But it was the sound that amazed me...punchy! not like my RI at all, tons of variation as well. My RI never sounded this 'alive' it was all very subdued and almost muted by comparison.
Has any one else found this difference between the RW & RI, are the pups hotter in the RW?
Only had my Bongo Stealth for 4 months but thinking of letting her go already in favour of the RW, have to do a bit more research first and try out the RW some more to make sure it really was the bass that sounded so good and not the rig I tried it out with.

[quote name='gazza19' post='1007443' date='Oct 31 2010, 03:09 PM']I tried the RW through an Ashdown 15", I wouldn't expect it to sound much better than my Fender Bassman TV 12 or Genz-Benz shuttle 3.
I need to try it through these but they didn't have anything like them in the store.[/quote]

you wouldn't or [b]would[/b] expect it to sound better?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1007579' date='Oct 31 2010, 05:18 PM']Unless I'm missing something I thought the RW Jazz used the USA 62RI pickups? Have I got that wrong?[/quote]

That's what I don't know. But the Road Worn sounded so much more punchier than my 62 American Vintage ever did.

Just checked out the specs on the Fender web site-
American Vintage = Vintage Jazz Bass® Single-Coil
Road Worn = Standard Vintage Alnico Magnet Jazz Bass® Single-Coil

So it appears that the RW has Mexican pups, not American, but boy do they sound good.

Does anyone else find that the RW has a punchier tone than the American Standard?

[quote name='gazza19' post='1007598' date='Oct 31 2010, 05:35 PM']Just checked out the specs on the Fender web site-

So it appears that the RW has Mexican pups, not American, but boy do they sound good.

Does anyone else find that the RW has a punchier tone than the American Standard?[/quote]

These pickups are the same as in the Classic 70s, and they are damn sweet.

[quote name='gazza19' post='1007598' date='Oct 31 2010, 05:35 PM']Just checked out the specs on the Fender web site-

Does anyone else find that the RW has a punchier tone than the American Standard?[/quote]
Interesting. My 60th Anniversary has the AV pup so perhaps that's where I got confused