Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

vintage MusicMan amps

Bassnut62

The best sounding amp I ever remember trying was a 70s MusicMan combo, all valve, may have been loaded with a 15 and a couple of 10s. That kind of speaker configuration is how i remember the sound anyway. That was back in 1984 when I tried out and bought a 79 MM StingRay. Sadly I couldn't afford the amp too.

I have never seen another vintage all-valve MusicMan bass amp and would love to try one again.

Anyone seen any or had similar experiences?

In the 80's used have a rig that looked like your avatar, a Musicman HD150 and the 2x12 reflex cab (EV speakers). It sounded great but it was so heavy it usually stayed at home! I also had their guitar amp, the HD130R. That sounded good as well. These amps had a SS pre amp and valve power amp.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1007085' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:25 AM']In the 80's used have a rig that looked like your avatar, a Musicman HD150 and the 2x12 reflex cab (EV speakers). It sounded great but it was so heavy it usually stayed at home! I also had their guitar amp, the HD130R. That sounded good as well. These amps had a SS pre amp and valve power amp.[/quote]

Good spot....that is a Musicman HD 1x15 reflex cab! I bought it for peanuts in a ripped up state with no badges and hardly any tolex left. I bought it as a "smaller lighter" cab to go with that Bassman head. My other cab is the Bassman 2x15 that ways a ton and is bigger than a coffin. So i just gave the MM cab Fender Tolex and badge to match up to my head. I know this is probably sacrilege; but then Leo did make the MM gear anyway, so it kind of feels OK to me to do this.

I did have the HD130 head before the Bassman head; but didn't really like the ss front end, so i traded it in for that Bassman head, which is definitely a sweeter sound that gives some nice grit when driven to hell. That MM combo I tried in the 80s was even better though' as I remember it. I'm pretty sure it was a very early MM amp with a valve pre-amp.

[quote name='RichardFoggo' post='1007088' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:30 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105051"]Musicman amp for sale[/url]

Great amps - remember rehearsal rooms I used to lodge in had a MM amp set up - very very vintage. Anyway, here's your chance for £550.[/quote]

thanks for the link.
that is the same cab as the one in my avatar! the tolex face was so ripped and it had no badges when i got it; so i retolexed and badged it to match my bassman. as it happens i did have the HD130 before the Bassman; but didn't really like the ss preamp. Does that 65 have an ss or valve pre-amp?