Why become a member? ×

Shuttle 6 Valve info

geoffbyrne

My Shuttle 6 went wonky a couple of weeks ago.

I was sitting 'tone-twiddling' (as one does) with the semi-parametric at just barely over conversational levels, and also playing with the valve-gain & pre-output when there was a buzz and the volume dropped about 70%.

I thought it was a glitch & turned it off.

When I played at the next practice I found it was severely curtailed in the total output volume department.

I opened it up & poked around but could find nothing visible.

I decided to change the valve on the off-chance. I had an unbranded 5751 in it as it's my tone-generator of choice.

The amp was still on at this time and I poked the bracket supporting the end of the valve, and got a big crackle in response - something obviously not right there, then.

I switched off, removed the offending valve & have replaced it with a NOS Mullard ECC83.

Now volume all returned & sounds magnificent. Putting the 5751 in my Laney valve amp produced much spluttering & background crunch. 5751 binned.

So, a valve with a dud side will drop your volume by at least half, but will still work, so don't panic if you get this symptom, just take the top off & replace the valve.

G.

[quote name='Pentode' post='1001977' date='Oct 27 2010, 06:33 AM']Tell you what - that Shuttle will sound sooo much better with the nice new shiny 12AX7 I have here and, AND, just for you, I'll do a straight swap for that nasty old Mullard.

Can't say fairer than that can I....? :lol:

Result on sorting it though! :)[/quote]

:)

Just to make you jealous, I have a NOS 4005 in the drawer also.

I assume you've seen this:

[url="http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Tubeprimerandselection320-2.pdf"]http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com...ection320-2.pdf[/url]

G.