Why become a member? ×

Headphone jack issues

PerfectionBG

£20 amp + 20p 3.5mm to 1/4" converter = 1 Hour of stress. :)

[size=1]Beginning of Rant[/size]

[font="Tahoma"]Thought I'd whack in my headphones for a little sesh, after about 30 mins, amp off, cable out, headphones out.

Although the end piece of the headphone adapter is no where to be seen, lets call it the 'Tip'.
and so, I look inside and there you can nicely see how the tip is at the very back of the socket, and is being trapped in by, not one, not two, but [b]3[/b] little metal bitches. As you do, I began fishing about with a 3.5mm jack, then a thin screwdriver - to no avail.

What next, unscrew the back cover (4 Screws) the top cover (4 Screws) and the circuit board cover (4 Screws) awesome fun aye? Unscrewing 12 rusty screws.

Then we are met with the culprit, the jack socket itself with the 3 deadly metal spring loaded stoppers of hell. No exaggeration.

So some twiddling and tweaking with a torch, stanley knife blade and 2 screwdrivers (not to mention the help of an unwilling brother) later and the little tip was free.

My Amp finally recognised that there wasn't a headphone jack in there and practise resumed.

I should stop cutting corners. Tesco value battery was my last problem and this time is was a pathetic converter.
And before you ask - yes, I have ordered a nice expensive new converter and have about 7 Duracell 9V's in a little box.

Still finding out which Ampeg I should get next so this amp can be thrown off a cliff. With force. And a sizeable grin.
[/font]
[size=1]End of Rant[/size]

It's a bugger isn't it?!!!

But it's not just cheap amps that can suffer such indignities. Our guitarist's Laney LC30 amp suffered the same problem when the tip of a 1/4-inch jack came off and lodged in the jack socket.

I had to take the combo apart and desolder the socket to get it out.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1001836' date='Oct 26 2010, 10:30 PM']But it's not just cheap amps that can suffer such indignities. Our guitarist's Laney LC30 amp suffered the same problem when the tip of a 1/4-inch jack came off and lodged in the jack socket.[/quote]
I suppose the irony is that the worst sockets for this to happen to are the blind-ended ones so you can't push the offending stray bit of plug back out again, which are also the most expensive variety. There's a lot to be said for these: