Why become a member? ×

Amp set up

jynxterstu

Hi All iam new to this and wanted some advice please.
I have a Hartke B60 amp and although it is loud, i was wondering if you can add cabs to it
for example linking it to an Marshall Extension Cabinet ?
If so could you explain how / what i need or if not could someone explain in novice terms,
what gear is normally used with my amp for small / medium gigs (pub/Clubs)
Thanks !
Jynxter

That combo doesn't have a speaker output.

Its only 60 watts, you're going to need more than that for a pub gig.

Read as much as you can on here and ask as many questions as you can.

My personal experience - first gig was with a Peavey TNT150, not loud enough, distorted badly. Traded for a Trace 200w 2x10" combo. Still not loud enough so added a 4x10". Plenty of volume now.

Smallest setup was a Genz Shuttle 6 and a Schroeder 2x12" - loud enough for any pub gig, very pokey.

Lowest powered loud setup was a Trace amp putting out about 90 watts into a Trace 4x12". Very loud from low watts.

Its a combination of amp output with efficiency of your speakers

I think the preamp in is so you can use an external preamp and bypass the one in the amp.

You could keep the Hartke and use it as a practice amp or sell it and buy something more powerful.

If you had a figure in mind that you have to spend then I'm sure we could all give you our own ideas for what to buy.

You also have a choice of a louder combo or a head and cab(s)

For that kind of money you could probably pick up a couple of trace cabs if you are prepared to wait.

I've seen 4x10"s go for £100 and compact 15"s for £90. You could do worse than a series 6 Trace Head or even something like the Peavey that sold recently.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-AH150-GP7-Classic-UK-Bass-Amp-Head-80s-/140469814558?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item20b4a7451e"]Trace Amp[/url]

The best thing to do is look for something good and reliable but not in fashion as you'll get it cheaper

You may struggle to get something loud enough for that kind of money but second hand Trace, Peavey or Ashdown is going to probably be your best bet

don't worry about it. What you effectively have now is 3 units in one box - a preamp, a poweramp and a speaker cabinet. that's why its called a combo.

9 times out of 10 when you hear someone talking about a head or an amp what they are referring to is a preamp and a poweramp in one box

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-700RB-II~ID~4163.asp"]This is mine[/url]

Amps are given an output in watts with a minimum impedence. What that means is to get the full output from the amp you will need to have the equivelant impedence in your speaker cabinet but you don;t always need the full output.

An amp with a minimum impedence of 4ohms means that you can either connect 1 4ohm speaker or 2 8 ohm speakers and that will allow the amp to put out its full power. The impedence is written on a plate on the back of the cab.

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown---MAG-410-T---Deep-Cab~ID~2054.asp"]These are the cabs that I use[/url] albeit mine are the older version with the carpet covering and steel grill

If I am playing a low volume gig, eg where we are using a full PA then I only need to use 1 cab. The amp will be running at 8ohms so will only be able to put out 300 watts. If I am playing a rock gig then I will take both to get the full output from the amp

Edited by Delberthot

when the amplifier section is built into the same cabinet as the speaker its refered to as a combo

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=95042&hl=peavey"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...2&hl=peavey[/url] this is in the for sale section and would be plenty loud enough for small gigs

Definitely. If I was closer I;d have it.

One thing you'll need to be careful of is that you may not be able to add a second cab as its 4 ohms and most amps only go as low as 4ohms. Richardd is selling a Peavey amp for peanuts. He;s in Lincoln but I'm sure couriering it would be dooable as they go down to 2ohms so you could add a second 4 ohm cab in the futue if you needed it