Why become a member? ×

Fuse Query

bumnote

I need to replace a 3 amp fuse in the back of one of my amps

The current one is 3a [slow blow] which has a little coil and then the fuse wire. I have some 3.15a timed fuses which just look like an ordinary fuses without the coil. Are these the same thing?

Not sure what you mean by "timed fuses" but I don't think they're the same thing. The coiled wire fuses are typical of slow-blow designs and such fuses are generally intended to withstand the in-rush current during switch-on of the amp.

It will do no harm to to use a fast-blow fuse, but you'll probably find it will blow after a few on-off cycles, perhaps the first one if you're unlucky, but it might get you out of an emergency situation.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='995939' date='Oct 21 2010, 01:55 PM']Not sure what you mean by "timed fuses" but I don't think they're the same thing. The coiled wire fuses are typical of slow-blow designs and such fuses are generally intended to withstand the in-rush current during switch-on of the amp.

It will do no harm to to use a fast-blow fuse, but you'll probably find it will blow after a few on-off cycles, perhaps the first one if you're unlucky, but it might get you out of an emergency situation.[/quote]

It says timed on the packet, and they are advertised on flea bay as time delay on 1 seller and sloblo timed on another

Edited by bumnote

I'm not sure of the specific technical differences between 'time-delay' and 'slow-blow'. Might just be an terminology thing but 'slo-blo' generally means the fuse will withstand twice its rating for 10 seconds rather than the normal 1 second. At least it did when I was actively doing electronic design work.

Sounds to me as if the 'time delay' fuses will be OK. They are the correct rating for continuous operation so the worst that can happen is that they might blow when you switch on.

I'd give them a try.