Why become a member? ×

One day session...

jmstone

Thanks guys! This is very encouraging!

Listening to it myself, I can hear all sorts of sloppiness in my playing, but I'm glad it doesn't seem to affect the overall enjoyment of the tracks. Candice, the singer hates her takes on some of these - to the extent she said she didn't want anyone else to hear one of them in particular.. but I think she sounds great! She eventually relented. I guess we all listen hardest and most critically to our own parts.

The songs are mainly written by her (except one by me - guess??), and it's always a real pleasure to play in this band - I think the songs are so well written (well Candice's are anyway!).. Only drawback is I think we never fully do them justice, but perhaps that will come with practice.

Edited by jmstone

[quote name='Bottle' post='995833' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:36 PM']Given the first track a bit of a listen at work - have to listen to the rest when I get home, but first impressions are good. Some nice playing there, bud :)

Has this been mixed yet, or are these just raw tracks with a few effects on the vocals?

Cheers, Ian[/quote]

Hey, Thanks Ian!

The mix was basically a quick and dirty on the day.. We never got the raw protools files though, so it will be back to the studio to mix/master if we want to go down that route... or at least a trip there with a HD.

Personally I'm fairly happy with the mix, but maybe it would be good to do some more tweaking. What do you think?

James

[quote name='jmstone' post='995848' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:52 PM']Hey, Thanks Ian!

The mix was basically a quick and dirty on the day.. We never got the raw protools files though, so it will be back to the studio to mix/master if we want to go down that route... or at least a trip there with a HD.

Personally I'm fairly happy with the mix, but maybe it would be good to do some more tweaking. What do you think?

James[/quote]
Even better then!

Mix-wise, seems to hang together well, maybe a smidge too much reverb on the vocals, but overall, very impressive. With some tweaking at the mixdown stage and some judicious EQ'ing, will be sounding great. Had a listen to the rest of the tracks now (I'm on my lunch break, hey!) - like them a lot!

Certainly the recording captures the energy of the band all playing together, rather than laying down guide tracks and then overdubbing later. Maybe a few places where the timing could do with tightening up - the last 20 seconds or so of 'Chase the Dragon'. The track 'The End' is really good - starts out strong, but the toms sound slightly off timing-wise - feels a bit rushed on some of the fills. Other than that (and please understand, they're [i]really[/i] minor niggles), great job all round :). And, yep, your singer can really sing well - no worries there.

Would love to see you guys live sometime, planning on gigging any time soon?

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='995880' date='Oct 21 2010, 01:15 PM']Even better then!

Mix-wise, seems to hang together well, maybe a smidge too much reverb on the vocals, but overall, very impressive. With some tweaking at the mixdown stage and some judicious EQ'ing, will be sounding great. Had a listen to the rest of the tracks now (I'm on my lunch break, hey!) - like them a lot!

Certainly the recording captures the energy of the band all playing together, rather than laying down guide tracks and then overdubbing later. Maybe a few places where the timing could do with tightening up - the last 20 seconds or so of 'Chase the Dragon'. The track 'The End' is really good - starts out strong, but the toms sound slightly off timing-wise - feels a bit rushed on some of the fills. Other than that (and please understand, they're [i]really[/i] minor niggles), great job all round :). And, yep, your singer can really sing well - no worries there.

Would love to see you guys live sometime, planning on gigging any time soon?

HTH, Ian[/quote]

Thanks Ian,

All very good points. Lots of people have commented on the over-wet reverb, and I am only too acutely aware of the timing issues! We will certainly try to take these on board with the mixing/mastering process.

We have been talking about our gig schedule. We have had quite a break over the last few months - mainly related to my life being in turmoil for all sorts of (mostly good) reasons - but we will certainly try to get at least 1 if not 2 gigs in before the end of the year. I will try to remember to post back to this thread when we have a date set.

Thanks for listening!

James

[quote name='jmstone' post='997031' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:41 PM']Thanks Ian,

All very good points. Lots of people have commented on the over-wet reverb, and I am only too acutely aware of the timing issues! We will certainly try to take these on board with the mixing/mastering process.

We have been talking about our gig schedule. We have had quite a break over the last few months - mainly related to my life being in turmoil for all sorts of (mostly good) reasons - but we will certainly try to get at least 1 if not 2 gigs in before the end of the year. I will try to remember to post back to this thread when we have a date set.

Thanks for listening!

James[/quote]
No worries - you've all done a great job there already with the raw material. I've heard some of my playing played back to me, and I'm shocked at how badly I've kept in time, so I know the feeling - don't beat yourself up too much!

Re: gigs - cool, man, look forward to it - checked out your Myspace page as well. Nice

HTH, Ian