Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1- standard Bass - opinions

papadesophie

The above sounds like the answer to my prayers, but I'm slightly put off by the distortion part of the model description. I need a pedal to do 2 things. Firstly to add a bit of nearly but not quite clean valve warmth to my solid state combo, and secondly to get a nice fat, warm SVT style OD. So far I've come across the HAO rust Ride, which does the SVT bit perfectly to my ears, but does nothing else (and I can't find one for love nor money). The other bit I'm sort of doing currently with a bit of 'clever' eq via a boss GE-7, but it's not perfect and can sound a bit flabby at volume.
I've checked out the sound clips on the DHA site, but all the bass ones seem to be the VT2 custom, which is quite a bit more than I wanted to pay, although some of the sounds are nice. the sound clips of Channel 1 on it's own (with fat switch on) sounds particularly nice to my ears, but how would those sounds compare to the VT1 standard bass? Will the VT1 also produce a bit more drive if required? Anyone know? Pretty much everyone says great things about DHA, but with a family to feed, I can't afford to go dropping 80 notes on anything that might be viewed as an aural experiment!

Other things that ostensibly work to my ears are the Sansamp BDDI (but I don't need the DI and again, it's a bit more than I planned shelling out) and the Fulltone Bass Drive, which is lovely but again, pricey and probably overspecified.

[quote name='papadesophie' post='112847' date='Jan 3 2008, 01:04 PM']The above sounds like the answer to my prayers, but I'm slightly put off by the distortion part of the model description. I need a pedal to do 2 things. Firstly to add a bit of nearly but not quite clean valve warmth to my solid state combo, and secondly to get a nice fat, warm SVT style OD. So far I've come across the HAO rust Ride, which does the SVT bit perfectly to my ears, but does nothing else (and I can't find one for love nor money). The other bit I'm sort of doing currently with a bit of 'clever' eq via a boss GE-7, but it's not perfect and can sound a bit flabby at volume.
I've checked out the sound clips on the DHA site, but all the bass ones seem to be the VT2 custom, which is quite a bit more than I wanted to pay, although some of the sounds are nice. the sound clips of Channel 1 on it's own (with fat switch on) sounds particularly nice to my ears, but how would those sounds compare to the VT1 standard bass? Will the VT1 also produce a bit more drive if required? Anyone know? Pretty much everyone says great things about DHA, but with a family to feed, I can't afford to go dropping 80 notes on anything that might be viewed as an aural experiment!

Other things that ostensibly work to my ears are the Sansamp BDDI (but I don't need the DI and again, it's a bit more than I planned shelling out) and the Fulltone Bass Drive, which is lovely but again, pricey and probably overspecified.[/quote]

Why don’t you ask Dave himself? He’s got his own forum in the ‘sponsors’ section…

[quote name='papadesophie' post='112847' date='Jan 3 2008, 01:04 PM']The above sounds like the answer to my prayers, but I'm slightly put off by the distortion part of the model description. I need a pedal to do 2 things. Firstly to add a bit of nearly but not quite clean valve warmth to my solid state combo, and secondly to get a nice fat, warm SVT style OD. So far I've come across the HAO rust Ride, which does the SVT bit perfectly to my ears, but does nothing else (and I can't find one for love nor money). The other bit I'm sort of doing currently with a bit of 'clever' eq via a boss GE-7, but it's not perfect and can sound a bit flabby at volume.

Other things that ostensibly work to my ears are the Sansamp BDDI (but I don't need the DI and again, it's a bit more than I planned shelling out) and the Fulltone Bass Drive, which is lovely but again, pricey and probably overspecified.[/quote]

Hi,

When the VT2 is in Channel 1 only then it is really just a VT1 as it's the same circuit. The VT1-Std-Bass has the Fat hard-wired on and has boost and bright switches. The bright adds more treble and means you can use it with guitar as well and the boost adds clean boost to the valve path which means a lot more drive is available if required.

Dave

• 6 months later...

[quote name='DHA' post='112988' date='Jan 3 2008, 04:53 PM']Hi,

When the VT2 is in Channel 1 only then it is really just a VT1 as it's the same circuit. The VT1-Std-Bass has the Fat hard-wired on and has boost and bright switches. The bright adds more treble and means you can use it with guitar as well and the boost adds clean boost to the valve path which means a lot more drive is available if required.

Dave[/quote]
Dave can I presume that the VT2 has the fat hard wired as well?

[quote name='Maxcat' post='244977' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:46 AM']Dave can I presume that the VT2 has the fat hard wired as well?[/quote]

It depends on the model. It's either hardwired or switchable but never not there at all.

Dave