Why become a member? ×

New solo album available

Alun

Hi everyone.

As you may have guessed from the title, I have a new album out for download right now! It’s called “The Kindness Of Strangers” and it consists of some music recorded at the Cafe Noodle streaming festival on Sept 18 2010 and a couple of studio recordings. It’s mainly solo unaccompanied 6 string bass, with one exception, and consists of eight originals and a cover of guitarist Matt Stevens‘ “Big Sky”. The download also includes an 8 page PDF of liner notes and exclusive artwork.

The album is available to download in most formats from Bandcamp for the princely minimum sum of £4.50 (you can of course pay more if you wish!) and all proceeds will be donated to the MS Society to aid in multiple sclerosis support and research. I know a few people who suffer with MS to varying degrees and know what a worthwhile cause this is.

You can stream the entire thing for free and download at [url="http://alunvaughan.bandcamp.com/album/the-kindness-of-strangers"]http://alunvaughan.bandcamp.com/album/the-...ss-of-strangers[/url]

These are a couple of quotes from reviews it's had so far:

[i]"The album is a real gem, sparkling with his not inconsiderable musical skills. For what a comparison is worth, Alun’s playing reminds me a little bit of the solo bass work of Colin Hodgkinson."[/i]

[i]"This is not a bass chops showcase album, and while Vaughan often enough lets his prowess on the instrument show, the album is mainly a collection of nice solo tunes, which he happens to play on a bass guitar – thus nicely shipping around that dangerous cliff that lurks in instrument virtuoso album water”
[/i]

[i]“give the album a listen, you won’t regret it”[/i]

Cheers
Alun

My blood usually freezes in my veins when I hear the words 'bass solo album' :)

But this is actually really very good. Just like the review you've quoted says, just really good tunes which happen to be played on bass by a really tasteful player.

You've converted me.

By the way is you bass tuned like a guitar EADGBE? It sounds like it might be.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have a little website for the album where you can stream the whole album for free, watch some silly videos and read some quotes about the music including comments from Bryan Beller ( bassist with Steve Vai, Dethlok, etc) and our very own gjones.

Cheers
Alun

• 3 weeks later...