Why become a member? ×

What to trade for - Gibson Les Paul Bass?

Oggy

I’ve had this Gibson Les Paul Standard Bass -[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99018"]THIS BASS[/url] - up for sale on the site for some time now and had no interest, I can understand that - what with the current economic climate and the Bass being a bit of an acquired taste sort of thing.

Instead of it being kept under the bed I was thinking that perhaps I should try for a trade for a Short or Medium scale Bass of equal quality / price, at least I'd have a bass then that I could use.

I currently have a Fender Mustang and Gibson SG Re-Issue Short, so I wouldn’t be interested in another of either.

For those of you guys ‘in the know’, what other Short / Medium Sale Basses would be of similar quality / price I could possibly ask to trade for?

I’d grateful for any input from other site members.

Oggy :)

Hagstrom Swede? Gretsch Broadkaster? Guild Starfire? Problem is going to be finding someone on here who has one and wants to trade it. Or a nice DeArmond Starfire with Darkstars, and put some money in your pocket.

I looked at your ad. Just my opinion FWIW, but I'd link to the site with all the spec details, so people aren't faced with that huge list they may not be that interested in. Plus, I'm not that interested in where you bought the bass and why you can't play it, and justifying the price just sounds defensive. Important things are: The Price, it's in immaculate condition, Les Pauls are great rock basses, you won't ship or take paypal. So that's a couple of short paragraphs, all you need. And if you brought the price down to say £990 it would sound less frightening.

Seriously consider shipping. You might want to try before buying, but it's not you you're selling to. I buy unseen all the time, if I didn't I'd never buy anything.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='989240' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:30 PM']Hagstrom Swede? Gretsch Broadkaster? Guild Starfire? Problem is going to be finding someone on here who has one and wants to trade it. Or a nice DeArmond Starfire with Darkstars, and put some money in your pocket.

I looked at your ad. Just my opinion FWIW, but I'd link to the site with all the spec details, so people aren't faced with that huge list they may not be that interested in. Plus, I'm not that interested in where you bought the bass and why you can't play it, and justifying the price just sounds defensive. Important things are: The Price, it's in immaculate condition, Les Pauls are great rock basses, you won't ship or take paypal. So that's a couple of short paragraphs, all you need. And if you brought the price down to say £990 it would sound less frightening.

Seriously consider shipping. You might want to try before buying, but it's not you you're selling to. I buy unseen all the time, if I didn't I'd never buy anything.[/quote]

Hi spinynormam,

"Hagstrom Swede, Gretsch Broadkaster, Guild Starfire" I though for one minute I was looking at the names of some very obscure beers on the pumps at the PUB, I'll be having a bash with Google.

Yup, your comments on my add are totally justified - I should just let the pic's and the link to the Gibson site speak for themselves. Good advice on the price also, although £999 sounds better to me - only joking. I've sort of made my mind up that the bass won't sell even at +/- £900, I'm not being defeatist - I just think that the current economic climate is so harsh that everyone is hanging on to what money they have and I sure don't blame them, worse to come I'm afraid.

Trading basses is IMO the way forward, I'm gob-smacked at the low prices and reductions for some very nice basses being sold on this site, wouldn't have seen that 12 - 18 months ago.

Anyway thanks again, I'll work with your advice.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='989268' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:50 PM']I've seen this one up close and personal at the London Bass Bash earlier this year. It's in showroom condition, very impressive indeed.

T[/quote]

Hey, thanks essexbasscat - she's still being looked after.