Why become a member? ×

1984 Washburn Bantam 4-string Headless NOW SOLD

backwater

Having had this bass for about 6 months and still not being able to cope with the lack of frets it has to go!

According to the serial number it is from 1984, Japanese made.
4-string fretless, headless (an unauthorised Steinberger copy) in vintage white (well yellowed with age).
A few dings to the body and neck from use but in a reasonably good condition.
Comes with the original gun case-like carry case.
Restrung when I bought it with Rotosound strings but could use a set of roundwounds being fitted.
Plays fine though the controls crackle occasionally.

[attachment=4784:bantam1.jpg]

New photo added

Collection from Edinburgh preferred but courier delivery could be arranged.

The price - £150 or nearest offer.

Thanks,

Andy :)

Edited by backwater

That's a nice & very uncommon bit of quality JapCrap - wish I could afford it at the moment!

For the sake of other JapCrap fans , this is a Matsumoku bass, and probably neck-through under the paint, like most of the other high end Mats. These weren't cheap when new.

Has it been defretted? I can't quite tell from the pic & don't remember a factory fretless version of this.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='112806' date='Jan 3 2008, 12:07 PM']That's a nice & very uncommon bit of quality JapCrap - wish I could afford it at the moment!

For the sake of other JapCrap fans , this is a Matsumoku bass, and probably neck-through under the paint, like most of the other high end Mats. These weren't cheap when new.

Has it been defretted? I can't quite tell from the pic & don't remember a factory fretless version of this.

Jon.[/quote]

As far as I can tell, if it is defretted it is a pretty good job. There are (wooden?) markers in where the frets would be and the fretboard is smooth with no damage where I would expect damage from removing the frets.

I believe the twin-neck version came with one fretted and one fretless neck so I assume there was a fretless single-neck too.

I picked the bass up in a pawnshop as it looked different!

Andy :)