Why become a member? ×

For Sale / For Trade: Tanglewood Baron Bass

chuck_stones

Hey all,

Due to lack of interest, I'm re-vamping this ad. So here's the new one:

Stunning Tanglewood Baron 4-string bass up for sale. You've probably never heard of or seen this bass before because it was a limited edition run back in the mid 90s. The craftmanship of this bass is truly outstanding and rivals that of any other bass I've played - even those at 4 times the price point.

So what's so sweet about it? Well, to sum it up...

Slimline, contoured Ash body (I believe), with a sublime 5-piece laminate through neck for super sustain. 'You could got and make a cup of tea and still be hearing that one'

Gold plated Brass nut for a crispy tone, with matching gold plated bridge and tuners.

Furnished with a EMG J/P pickup configuration. It features a pickup blend control, and what I can only describe as an active presence/boost control which allows you to generate a truly MASSIVE tone; seriously, just like Spinal Tap, this bass has got some BIG bottom. The remaining two controls are volume and bass/treble boost.

I've not touched the set-up in 14 years and it remains perfectly set up; the action is incredibly low and plays perfectly all the way up and down its 24 fret neck. The fret finishing by the way is some of the best I've seen.

The bass came with matching gold plated strap locks which are still fitted (everything is as original, aside from the strings.....obviously).

Condition of the bass is near perfect, aside from a small ding in the body, and a few blemishes around the bottom strap button. It's a veteran of well over 200 gigs and has never failed me, not even with so much as a crackly pot.

So, I hear you wonder, if it's this good, why am I selling it?

Well my collection is expanding, and I need to make some space for some new basses and sadly I'm in need of money. As this is one of the finer basses I own, I need to consider selling it to raise much needed funds, and rather than stick my old friend on eBay, I'd rather see her go to a reliable owner in a community of bassists. At least that way, I might chance upon her again when I'm feeling richer!

Enough blurb, let's talk money. I'm looking for:

[s]£600[/s] / [s]£500[/s] [b] NOW: £450[/b] - I know this sounds a lot for a Tanglewood, but believe me, if you played her you'd understand the rationale for the price tag.

I'll gladly bring the bass to you (with reason from Leeds) so you can check her out in person.

P.s. I would consider trades, but as I'm selling this due to financial reasons, cold hard cash would be preferred [or electronic funds transfers] :)

Here are some pics of her in action: (Check out that gorgeous slimline body and neck in the second pic!

The only real damage to speak of is this knock in the top side which has cracked through the lacquer:

And these are the knocks on the underside:

Edited by chuck_stones

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='989261' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:45 PM']Man, what gives? Is this bass so undesirable..?

'Last chance motel' before she goes on eBay type BUMP and final price drop: [b]Now £450 o.n.o.[/b][/quote]

Good luck with the sale mate its a stunning bass. I know how u feel trying to sell a great bass but no bites.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='989286' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:02 PM']Looks like a wenge thru neck too, nice![/quote]

Spot on there Chris2112. Just this morning I had a response from Tanglewood on an enquiry I'd made about this bass last month, so here's a bit more info about the construction directly from them:

BARON bass 'Limited Edition':

Through neck design, top quality hardware. Special slim neck from African Wenge wood (hardest available). Neck through body design into solid Maple body. Workmanship by custom shop luthier. 14ct gold plated hardware, active bass control, 2 EMG pickups; J and P style. Gotoh locking strap buttons. Brass nut. Finished in natural satin.

Tanglewood also had this to say about the bass:

'I recognised the name instantly as one of our old Limited Edition top quality basses. I can safely say there are very few of these basses as approximately 120 were made as a limited edition run. This was one of the best basses we at Tanglewood ever produced'.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jwlkr' post='1007568' date='Oct 31 2010, 06:05 PM']i would kill for this bass its beautiful and i have a soft spot for tanglewoods... for some reason.
unfortunately i feel as though i am the poorest man in the world right now, and all i have is a mim fender p :lol:[/quote]

I hear you man, it's a definite beauty and plays and sounds even better than it looks. Haha, well in my experience some of the older Tanglewoods are real gems; I'm not so convinced by the built quality of some of the newer ones, but the Baron is in a league of its own on that front.

Sadly not a big Fender fan in general, but if you have anything else you might want to trade... let me know :)

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='1007796' date='Oct 31 2010, 08:23 PM']I hear you man, it's a definite beauty and plays and sounds even better than it looks. Haha, well in my experience some of the older Tanglewoods are real gems; I'm not so convinced by the built quality of some of the newer ones, but the Baron is in a league of its own on that front.

Sadly not a big Fender fan in general, but if you have anything else you might want to trade... let me know :)[/quote]

my dignity LOL.
sadly not im afraid being skint all the time has meant that my guitar collection has taken a pounding. :)