Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fretless bass pick ups

willyf87

I have a set of Villex pups on my Squier VMJ fretless which I can highly recommend. They have a very different sound to regular pups ranging from a fundamental tone not unlike an upright bass (with the mid-tone control rolled off) to nasally jaco-esque tones (with the mids up). I've also heard good things about DiMarzio Model Js for fretless (not Super Js). Plan to try these myself sometime soon but haven't yet.

Villex look definitely more than i want to spend!!! EMG may be worth a look, I was having a look at the wizard pick ups, seems to be a few bits and bobs about them on here as well maybe worth a try. I wish I could try loads out but you can't really do it without spending some serious dough!!!

I went for the Hammers - which Wizard stats are loud, dark and dirty - because they were going into a bass with a maple body, ebony cap, and maple neck with an ebony fretboard, so it needed some taming in the high end. Here's a link with some sound-clips. The first set of clips, with flatwounds, were recorded with Bartolini's. The roundwound clips were recorded with the Wizards.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53343&hl=ernie"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53343&hl=ernie[/url]

I've got the same bass as you ( Vintage fretless ) when I was looking to put some new pups on I have always liked the Seymour Duncan in the past so decided to try a set. Did a bit of investigating and decided on a set of SD STK which I managed to get of E-Bay for £70 the set. Well pleased with them, gave that well rounded slightly fat tone but they are really clear, not muddy like some pups get.