Why become a member? ×

Heads up AKG Bug deal at S/control

Sound Control are selling AKG Bug wireless guitar/bass systems for £79 in their sale.
[url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.6.5-47-7"]AKG Bug at SoundControl[/url]
That's a deal if you want to try wireless...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Hanson' post='113267' date='Jan 3 2008, 11:28 PM']Do you know when this sale ends? or is it just when they run out of stock[/quote]

No Idea but ... after reading the new thread on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=10362&view=findpost&p=109878"]Wireless Licence Requirements[/url]
I suspect these are the type that require a costly licence, or will soon, which may be why they are being sold off cheap ...
I've noticed some other wireless kit coming down in price recently, probably for the same reason

Having said that, I'd risk it ...

• 2 months later...

BUMP - this offer is still on AND, after a bit of searching I have found a voucher code which gives you FREE (yes FREE) standard delivery saving the £7.50 it would normally cost with Sound Control.

Just type 123 into the voucher code box and hey presto.

I have had one of these systems before and they are good, especially at this price. I will probably buy another one as in drunken exuberance I smashed the old transmitter to pieces. a new transmitter is £50 - 60 on it's own.

And after a quick search, a rack mounting kit for these is only about another tenner. Even better.

Ps - I assume the voucher code will work for anything you buy from sound control, not just this.

Rhymes

Edit - I have just quickly tried this code for a Line6 bass combo and (separately) an electric drum kit. Works for both. Hurrah.

Edited by rhymes

The AKG one is a Single channel, non diversity and to be honest aint very good ( hence the sell off )

How about a [b]16 channel switchable [/b][u][/u]DD one for £70.78p

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ews_16gt.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ews_16gt.htm[/url]

Edited by Splashproof

[quote name='Splashproof' post='151841' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:33 PM']How about a [b]16 channel switchable [/b][u][/u]DD one for £70.78p[/quote]

£78.23 including P&P... Any chance of another one of those new-fangled discount codes? :)

Edited by allighatt0r

Muzzer, I would like to know what you get when you receive it...

I would really prefer mine to be rack mounted. I spoke to Sound Control today before ordering about which receiver they have. It sounds like they are sending the old (non-diversity) unit. This is not a problem - as long as you are ok with a fixed channel, but you should be clear about that before buying.

The problem is that the old unit uses a different rack mounting system (AKG RMU60) which are not readily available - possibly discontinued. The newer ones use RMU40.

If you could tell us which one you get (maybe a picture would help - the two are very different looking units) it would be helpful.

The post above about single frequencies is a very valid point - if you have other musicians in your band using wireless units, you would need to check their frequency and order a different one in case of a clash.

Thanks,

Rhymes

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='151964' date='Mar 5 2008, 07:25 PM']£78.23 including P&P... Any chance of another one of those new-fangled discount codes? :)[/quote]

PS - discount codes are pretty easy to find. Obviously depending on if one is available...

A quick google search for Thomann voucher codes should do the job - the trick to it is avoiding the commercial sites which advertise having codes for sites, then just re-direct you with no code which just makes them a few pence richer for re-directing you. Try to look out for genuine user forums - thats where you will normally find them. With the Sound Control one, the code came up in the search summary in google - I didn't even have to go in to the forum. Good luck...

Also, I was looking at the T Bone today - good value for money with switchable channels etc. Just doesn't look very easily rack-mountable...

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='152061' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:49 PM']Bugger. The voucher code search got me nowhere, i searched for voucher code, discount code coupon code.... nothing.

Oh well it's still a quid cheaper than the AKG, only thing is, i can't find anything about Tbones, the quality, reliability, sound etc.[/quote]

T-Bone ( Thomanns own brand ) are very good quality. There studio mics are beyond belief for the money. We use T-Bone in ear wireless monitors and the above Bug unit and they work flawless.

The 16 Channels are a boon for our band because the bass player is wireless, 2 x wireless vocalists and the in ear monitor system. None of it could be achieved with a fixed freq device like the AGK

[quote name='Splashproof' post='152095' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:14 PM']T-Bone ( Thomanns own brand ) are very good quality. There studio mics are beyond belief for the money. We use T-Bone in ear wireless monitors and the above Bug unit and they work flawless.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback, £80 is a lot of money for me, so i just wanted the reassurance. :)

[quote name='rhymes' post='152048' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:28 PM']The problem is that the old unit uses a different rack mounting system (AKG RMU60) which are not readily available - possibly discontinued. The newer ones use RMU40.[/quote]

Yup, I read that too but it's bollards - I have the old unit which I've just racked using an RMU40 racking system from Thomann - even though it states on the page that they don't fit - they DO!!

Okey dokey rhymes, I'll post a few piccies when I receive it. Bit gutted to see that the diversity version is about the same price from Thomann :)

Anyway, it will probably do for my needs.

Muzzer

[quote name='rhymes' post='152048' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:28 PM']Muzzer, I would like to know what you get when you receive it...

I would really prefer mine to be rack mounted. I spoke to Sound Control today before ordering about which receiver they have. It sounds like they are sending the old (non-diversity) unit. This is not a problem - as long as you are ok with a fixed channel, but you should be clear about that before buying.

The problem is that the old unit uses a different rack mounting system (AKG RMU60) which are not readily available - possibly discontinued. The newer ones use RMU40.

If you could tell us which one you get (maybe a picture would help - the two are very different looking units) it would be helpful.

The post above about single frequencies is a very valid point - if you have other musicians in your band using wireless units, you would need to check their frequency and order a different one in case of a clash.

Thanks,

Rhymes[/quote]

Received the "Bug" yesterday.
First impressions were pretty good as it seems nicely built, it even fits my Ibanez Ergodyne with a "strat-style" angled jack socket. As mentioned in this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14701"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14701[/url] it does seem to boost top-end and cut bottom-end slightly, but this can easily be adjusted via EQ.
Overall I'm pretty happy, though a live gig situation will be the real test.
Rhymes - I'll see if I can add some photos when I get home from work tonight.

:)

[quote name='rhymes' post='152048' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:28 PM']Muzzer, I would like to know what you get when you receive it...

Thanks,

Rhymes[/quote]

[quote name='muzzer' post='156097' date='Mar 12 2008, 03:46 PM']Received the "Bug" yesterday.
First impressions were pretty good as it seems nicely built, it even fits my Ibanez Ergodyne with a "strat-style" angled jack socket. As mentioned in this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14701"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14701[/url] it does seem to boost top-end and cut bottom-end slightly, but this can easily be adjusted via EQ.
Overall I'm pretty happy, though a live gig situation will be the real test.
Rhymes - I'll see if I can add some photos when I get home from work tonight.

:)[/quote]

cheers Muzzer, nice one.

Hmmm, my camera seems to have decided to go on strike :)
I'll see what I can do about the pics over the weekend.
Sorry for the delay, you'll have to bear witrh I'm afraid.
Muzzer

[quote name='rhymes' post='156251' date='Mar 12 2008, 06:31 PM']cheers Muzzer, nice one.[/quote]

Here we go with the photos ("at last" I hear you say :) ...............................)

The front with the bug showing stubby aerial and output level control. The on/off switch is the round AKG symbol. There's also power and clip LEDs:

The back showing AC adapter (included) and output jacks (balanced TRS). Also the frequency sticker, in this case UHF 864.375MHz:

Underneath:

Detail showing threaded holes inside rubber feet, I assume for mounting rack ears or similar:

Closeup of the bug showing Off/Mute/On switch, LED and audio level trimmer. The jack plug bit is spring-loaded and removable. Comes with another white battery cover (indicates frequency, same as white tags on front of main unit), stick velcro pad to stop it bouncing around, trim tool and a longer gold jack plug for those hard-to reach places :huh:

Hope these show what you need to know..................
Muzzer