Why become a member? ×

Polyurethane based clear spray?

Big_Stu

Anyone know if it's possible to buy a clear coat polyurethane based spray can?
On Saturday I won a guitar previously owned by Andy Scott of The Sweet. He's signed a marker pen dedication on it to me which I'd like to permanently protect.
I've been told by Washburn that it's polyurethane based. So far I've been told my a couple of manufacturers that their spray paints won't do it - one of them was acrylic which surprised me.
So I'm looking for the name of a manufacturer that will definitely be compatible - or the name of a Lancs luthier than can do a small patch spray of coating without breaking the bank.

It's tricky 'cos when you spray over an existing coat it really needs to be cleaned and keyed by sanding it, otherwise the new coat of paint won't stick. Obviously even a light sanding is going to cock up the writing. I've found that allot of permanent marker fades sooner or later whether it's covered or not, so maybe it would be better to keep it as is then touch it up from time to time. I know it's cheating but it could save you allot of hassle and money :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='980568' date='Oct 7 2010, 02:30 PM']It's tricky 'cos when you spray over an existing coat it really needs to be cleaned and keyed by sanding it, otherwise the new coat of paint won't stick. Obviously even a light sanding is going to cock up the writing. I've found that allot of permanent marker fades sooner or later whether it's covered or not, so maybe it would be better to keep it as is then touch it up from time to time. I know it's cheating but it could save you allot of hassle and money :)[/quote]
Yeah, I know what you mean; since posting I've been told by a guitar tech that it's the propellant that's most likely to cause probs, not the paint. He's going to have a word with a guy he knows who does refins when he comes back off a tour.

[quote name='yorick' post='980577' date='Oct 7 2010, 02:39 PM']How about a sheet of clear sticky back plastic? Kind of like the stuff you peel off scratchplates of brand new guitars?[/quote]
It's a thought, I did that with some other sigs I had on another guitar & it peeled around the edges after a while, eventually I peeled it all off & cleaned all the sigs off, or what was left of them.
It wouldn't crack me up if the sig came off, but for now it's nice to have. But obviously I wouldn't want to knacker a decent guitar because of them.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='979677' date='Oct 6 2010, 06:00 PM']Anyone know if it's possible to buy a clear coat polyurethane based spray can?
On Saturday I won a guitar previously owned by Andy Scott of The Sweet. He's signed a marker pen dedication on it to me which I'd like to permanently protect.
I've been told by Washburn that it's polyurethane based. So far I've been told my a couple of manufacturers that their spray paints won't do it - one of them was acrylic which surprised me.
So I'm looking for the name of a manufacturer that will definitely be compatible - or the name of a Lancs luthier than can do a small patch spray of coating without breaking the bank.[/quote]

I would guess that the solvent in many sprays will unfortunately dissolve the marker pen. You might be able to get round that by doing very very light initial mist coats. Plastikote do a poly-based spray but whatever you use, test it against marker pen on some other smooth surface first!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='980731' date='Oct 7 2010, 05:04 PM']I would guess that the solvent in many sprays will unfortunately dissolve the marker pen. You might be able to get round that by doing very very light initial mist coats. Plastikote do a poly-based spray but whatever you use, test it against marker pen on some other smooth surface first![/quote]

That's what I said I'd do to the guitar tech I know.
His reply was "well done in spotting what kind of marker pen was used in the signing" (sarcastic git!) there's different spirits in them damn things too which will react in diff ways!! Though I'd like to think that permanent ones are mostly the same.

Plastikote were one of the two companies I phoned, but we only spoke about their acrylic range. I didn't know at the time that they do a polyurethane one, but found it online at B&Q. The other was "Holtz"(??) who said the propellant gas would deffo knacker it.

The tech is back home on the 18th so I'll leave it till then, I'm not desperate. It's a decent guitar & much more playable than my Applause/Ovation bowl-back. Much like a light-weight Tele in feel.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Colledge' post='980770' date='Oct 7 2010, 05:43 PM']you can get clear films that are made to protect car bodywork from stone chips and stuff.... i'm guessing it must be pretty hard wearing. maybe worth a try?[/quote]

Never heard of that, but it might be a plan if all else fails. Thanks for the idea.