Why become a member? ×

Jazz 4 to Jazz 5???

Hoppo75

Hiya folks.

Now this is probably going to be a ridiculous question but hey, what the hell!!!

I've got a lovely 4 string Jazz bodied custom built thingy, which I dearly love. However, I have ridiculous 5 string GAS at the moment, and if I'm honest, have had for the last 20 years. My Jazz copy is a 4 string but I was wondering if I can use the same body to create a 5. Obviously I know there'd be a bit of chopping for pickups, neck etc, but is a 5 string jazz body majorly different in size to a 4 string one and if not, has anyone done the same thing?

Please feel free to put me in my place :)

Edited by Hoppo75

The neck pocket is going to be the problem. A 5-string neck is wider all the way down and quite significantly wider at the body join which would mean it won't fit the neck pocket of a 4-string body. Then the 4-string pickup isn't wide enough to cover the 5-strings either.... plus you'd need a new bridge.

You'll have to alter the neck pocket to accommodate a comfortable neck but as far as pups go you can keep the original routs if you so wish. My 5 string has 9 pole Bill Lawrence pups in there which are the same dimensions as 4 string pups. BL pups are quite rare but you could use rails.

I'd would have thought that the neck pocket would be the biggest issue, everything else would just be a little more routing and hole drilling. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly and hopefully they'll give it the thumbs up as I'd like to see a conversion.

Neck pocket it is then. :)

[quote name='BOD2' post='977658' date='Oct 4 2010, 09:02 PM']....[b]Then the 4-string pickup isn't wide enough to cover the 5-strings either[/b]....[/quote]
This is a misconception although to get even coverage of the strings you need to either have pups with more pole pieces or use a rails. You can get a Bart set (which I have in my parts box) that cover 5 strings in a 4 size, Hohner "The Jack" pups are the same - I imagine there will be others too.

5 string jazz pups are such a rip - just look at how much of them isn't used...

Here's my (much neater) Bill Lawrence pups - the neck is a standard Allparts 5 string P width neck.