Why become a member? ×

The Jazz Theory Book

The Funk

I'm abroad visiting relatives at the moment and there's not much to do. I brought a couple of books along with me, one of which was The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine.

I'd been meaning to buy it for about... 7 years! Well, I found a copy for sale just before I left and brought it with me.

I opened it up yesterday morning and started having a read through. Several hours later I'd read through the entire thing. Obviously I'll have to go back over quite a few things in there in proper depth but I just couldn't believe how well explained the whole thing was - and how thorough!

It doesn't deal with rhythm very much (apart from a brief introduction to the clave) and it's not a licks/phrases book, but it deals in depth with the relationships between different scales and chords, including substitutions and other kinds of reharmonization.

My eyes and ears were opened to more in one day musically-speaking than in the previous 8 years. If you don't have this book already, get it.

If you have used it or are using it, please share your thoughts and comments. Thanks.

I love that book, very well written and the examples used make everything very clear ( although tab readers should be aware that it's all in treble and bass clef standard ntoation).As you say, not a lick/pattern book as such but it does give you all the knowledge to create countless licks of your own.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='The Funk' post='111333' date='Dec 31 2007, 10:00 AM']it deals in depth with the relationships between different scales and chords, including substitutions and other kinds of reharmonization.[/quote]

Sounds brilliant.

There is a recommended books thread somewhere isn't there?