Why become a member? ×

Dunno if this is valid here... Apple PowerMac G4 Dual...

I couldn't get Logic 8 to install on my PM G4 single 1.25GHz because the supplied graphics card doesn't support some of the features that version requires.

If you just want it to record audio, one of the older versions of Logic is just as good. I did all the recordings for SugarBox on a G4 400 using Logic 4 under OS9. I would recommend that you use a dedicated hard drive for your audio, and ideally either a fast SCSI one or SATA running from a PCI card.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='975711' date='Oct 3 2010, 09:04 AM']I couldn't get Logic 8 to install on my PM G4 single 1.25GHz because the supplied graphics card doesn't support some of the features that version requires.

If you just want it to record audio, one of the older versions of Logic is just as good. I did all the recordings for SugarBox on a G4 400 using Logic 4 under OS9. I would recommend that you use a dedicated hard drive for your audio, and ideally either a fast SCSI one or SATA running from a PCI card.[/quote]

Hey BigRedX

You seem to come to my rescue quite alot haha!
First the Trace wiring problem a few months ago and now this :)
Anyways, thanks very much for the advise. I shall definately have to check one out, I just missed out on one on eBay for just over a tenner so I'm quite annoyed at that.
Thing is, I've got copies of Snow Leopard OSX and Logic Pro 8 sitting around waiting to be used to I'm just looking for a mac to use with it now :lol:
Might have to look at trying Logic 4 though if I end up with a PM G4 but I'm definately going to buy an external 1tb hard drive to store everything on as 80gb is no where near enough for what I'll want to do.
Will the Line 6 Toneport UX2 work with these or will I need a completely different Audio Interface to go with it?

Cheers
Stevie

Your Line6 TonePort requires OSX (Tiger minimum) so my suggestion of Logic 4 won't be suitable for you. You'll need a version of Logic that works properly under Tiger. In theory you should be able to run Logic 8 on fast G4 if you can persuade it to install, however in my case it wasn't worth the extra expense of upgrades that may or may not have allowed me to get it to work.

If you're running Snow Leopard rather than Leopard, you need an Intel Mac. G4s and G5s won't do.

Also when I switched from a 4-core MacPro running Leopard to an 8-core running Snow Leopard, I was unable to install Logic 8 and had to upgrade to Logic 9. However you should be able to run Logic 8 by installing it under Leopard and then upgrading the OS to Snow Leopard.

• 2 weeks later...