Why become a member? ×

Just came across my first bass at a gig!

mcnach

Not technicaly my first bass, as I had had two others, that I never played. I had been playing guitar for ages and I thought it would be good to have some cheap bass to add to my crappy recordings. So I had a terrible Lyon P-bass copy and later a Squier P/J type that I never got a long with.

Then in 2005 a bass was placed in my hands on stage, and... I enjoyed it. So much so that soon afterwards I bought a bass with the firm intention of using it.
I bought a Jazz bass copy by Vintage. Black with tortoiseshell pickguard. This is the bass I consider to be my real first bass.

It was quite nice. I shielded it very well, replaced the pickguard with one made of black anodised metal, and installed a push/push switch for the parallel/series option.
I didn't use it so much. Then in 2007 I started playing bass in bands... and in 2008 I sold it. A move I regretted, because it was a very sweet bass. I sold it via gumtree to someone in my town.

Last night I was playing a gig locally, with two other bands. We were playing last and I ended up supplying bass amplification for all. When this guy comes to ask about the amp he was vaguely familiar, but didn't think much of it. I didn't pay attention during his soundcheck. Then... when the band played... I thought... wait a minute, I know that bass!!!
My old bass!!!
I must email him and tell him if he ever sells it, I want it back.

This is it, the way it was when I sold it:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='975257' date='Oct 2 2010, 06:17 PM']My thoughts were along those lines too when I read the title. :)

How did it sound when you heard it this time Jose?[/quote]

Children, behave!!! :)

It sounded... huge! Better than I remembered it! But then this guy plays better than I did at the time... and back then I was in a strange Polish death metal type of band (don't ask). :)

It sounded really good I thought. It was interesting to listen to my bass rig played by other people (first band a P-bass, second one the J-bass) and having enough time to realise just how huge it can sound. The bass amoplification was just my amp, it wasn't DI'd or anything, and the amp wasn't being pushed too hard at all.

That Vintage Jazz bass always felt really nice to play but thought the pickups were slightly microphonic. I didn't ask whether he'd changed them.

I want that bass back!!! :lol:

Edited by mcnach