Why become a member? ×

New arrived cab today

attackbass

I'm thinking about purchasing some orange cabs too. I'm currently running an ampeg SVT trough a Ashdown Mag. The only point of doubt I have at the moment is concering what cabs I should choose. There are two combinations possible. First of all 2 4 x 10 cabinets, and the second possibility is a 4x10 combined with a 1x15. I've tried both setups, but am stuck when it comes to choosing. Any pro's and cons to both combinations are more than welcome!

P.S: That is one insane setup you've got there!

Don't think about coming to shows, just come lol!

TBH at the show I only run my bass through sansamp di for foh.. so you'll probably only hear that unless you stand at the front!

PROS - 2 seperate cabs are easier to get in your and carry, expecially if you need only the one.

I've never used two 4x10s so I can't comment... with the 4x10 and 1x15 I found it gave me a washy kinda tone and not very focused. There would be this harsh high end flying around from the 4x10 with the horn and then this kinda 'flappy' loose bass coming from the 1x15. I was after a tight articulate sound that wasn't too harsh on the high end which is what im pleasef to say im getting with the 8x10... it's great for distortion and driving tube amps.

I have spoken to sound guys in the past that thought the 4x10 and 1x15 cab mix was odd becuase your sending the same eq from the preamp to two different cabs with different speaker combinations... not sure how much truth is in that but I can understand the theory.

hope that helps in some way or other.

[quote name='Zydian' post='977215' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:17 PM']I'm thinking about purchasing some orange cabs too. I'm currently running an ampeg SVT trough a Ashdown Mag. The only point of doubt I have at the moment is concering what cabs I should choose. There are two combinations possible. First of all 2 4 x 10 cabinets, and the second possibility is a 4x10 combined with a 1x15. I've tried both setups, but am stuck when it comes to choosing. Any pro's and cons to both combinations are more than welcome!

P.S: That is one insane setup you've got there![/quote]