Why become a member? ×

Practice Mutes

Hector

Hi Guys,

I'm moving back to university halls this weekend, and my room is much bigger than before and has space to comfortable have a double bass in my room with me. However, I do have neighbours both above and below me, and I'm concerned about noise levels. I've searched TalkBass, but nobody can seem to come to agreement on what the best solution is to quiet practice.

Can anyone suggest any mutes or things I can do to my bass to make it possible to practice without disturbing the neighbours?

H

[quote name='TheRev' post='971541' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:31 AM']I have a heavy duty rubber mute that I don't use any more.

This one:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ultra_kontrabassdaempfer.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ultra_kontrabassdaempfer.htm[/url]

You can have it for the price of postage.

Dave[/quote]

Yeah that Ultra makes a bit of difference, but not much. It doesn't impede the strings at all, just deadens the bridge.
I lined mine with a strip of foam cut to shape, so that the foam actually dampens the strings, makes much more difference.
Can achieve same effect by wrapping a cloth or bungee around the strings just above the bridge .. of course it f***s with your sound, but cuts the volume big time.

I also close off the f-holes when i practice at home after kiddy bedtime. Made these myself:

[quote name='PaulKing' post='971562' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:44 AM']Yeah that Ultra makes a bit of difference, but not much.[/quote]

I think the difference it makes can vary, for example I find it doesn't make too much difference for pizzicato, but substantially cuts down the volume of bowed notes. Given that bowed notes are usually more obnoxious in terms of volume and perceived pitch, my use of this mute is appreciated by those around me :-)

Maybe the efficacy of it also varies with different basses/strings?

I like the bungs you made for those f-holes, far more aesthetically pleasing than the approach I use to reduce feedback when playing amplified in loud situations: stuffing dusters into the f-holes.

Jennifer

Thanks for the input all!

I guess I'll give a bridge mute a try, but have pillows etc. on hand to stuff between the body and the tailpiece, on the bridge and perhaps in the f-holes. The room I'm staying in is quite well soundproofed anyway - carpeted floor and solid walls/door, and I deliberately chose a room with very few neighbours, but I think I ought to give muting a go (as much for my peace of mind as for my neighbours'...)

Dave, that's an extraordinarily kind offer thank you very much! You have PM.

H

[quote name='endorka' post='971574' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:57 AM']I find it doesn't make too much difference for pizzicato, but substantially cuts down the volume of bowed notes...[/quote]

Yeah i bet ... you can probably tell from the lack of rosin around my bridge that a bow never touches those strings.
Nice big calluses on my fingers though...