Why become a member? ×

Earthing/Hiss problem with RH450 & RS210's

Legion

I'm just looking for a few second opinions on this one and a bit of sanity checking...

Last night I put my RH450 back into the RS210C cab making a combo, and stacked it on top of the RS210 giving me a 4x10 vertical stack. I plugged in my Pino and got a pretty awful level of hiss with the volume up. Turning the tweeters down helped, as did the treble control on the EQ but it is clearly an earthing/shielding issue as touching the bridge or strings reduced the noise massively.

Then I plugged in the Tony Franklin and got a similar, albeit slightly lower level of hiss. I tried different intrument cables to no effect. I then switched to the Sadowsky...dead quiet.

So this clearly seems to be an issue of poor sheilding of cavities etc? I've no doubt that the 2 fenders are as badly shielded as the day I bought them and nothing has changed there.

The thing is I never noticed this before so either:

My GS112's didn't do it, or made it sound a lot less (but I don't recall it happening before with the TC cabs either so seems unlikely)
My RH450 has developed a problem, which seems unlikely as the Sadowsky is nice and quiet
Having just moved house, maybe it's an environmental effect - bad wiring etc

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of moving the whole rig to a different room to see if it has an effect. It's frustrating as I almost get the impression that the Fenders always had crappy sheilding but it never caused an issue until now...(oh and I just sold my GS cabs so can't A/B them)

J

[quote name='Musicman20' post='968237' date='Sep 26 2010, 11:20 AM']I reckon it's the power supply where you are using it. I had a similar experience in my parents front room on a socket we barely use with a LM 3 and Berg HS410.[/quote]
I forgot to mention that the wiring in this house is pretty awful and the first thing on my list of to-do's in a couple of weeks. So I'm inclined to assume that the more "sensitive" Fenders are just picking up rubbish that was not present in my previous house. Testament to the quality of shielding on the Sadowsky if it does turn out to be the problem.

I'll try a different area of the house if I get time tonight, see if it helps.

Edited by Legion