Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage/Modified Jaguar Is Here

Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='silentbob' post='1020642' date='Nov 11 2010, 01:21 PM']Finally managed to get back to the shop today, only to be told that this is the sort of build quality i should expect from a guitar in this price range. It's now with them, waiting to be seen by the Fender rep, though they told me i shouldn't expect any different response from him.[/quote]

What a nasty attitude.

Did you reach across the counter and smack them - I give you my permission.

I tell you what I'd do to them - demand your money back and buy it from a different source. Make sure to tell everyone the name of the store that would treat a customer that way. There's no way I'd roll over on this and let them treat me this way.

Disgraceful.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1020905' date='Nov 12 2010, 01:53 AM']What a nasty attitude.

I tell you what I'd do to them - demand your money back and buy it from a different source. Make sure to tell everyone the name of the store that would treat a customer that way. There's no way I'd roll over on this and let them treat me this way.

Disgraceful.[/quote]

I'm afraid that's common in this country. You are right, is disgraceful.

I bought a jumper (sweater) in John Lewis for £15 and it bobbled after one wash. When I returned it to complain, they said "that's what you get when you buy a £15 sweater"!

Sounds like time to re-institute the pillory and floggings.

A salesperson should make the customer feel good about everything or anything they buy - not berate them for buying something that they carry under their roof for sale.

Here - stores are hungry enough to actually help a customer out of a predicament. I hear that some wars have been fought over just a tax on tea before!

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1020905' date='Nov 12 2010, 01:53 AM']What a nasty attitude.

Disgraceful.[/quote]

In fairness to them, i'll wait and see what the Fender rep has to say before i name them, but i would feel alot better if i knew they were fighting my corner for me.
The one thing that really annoys me is that rather than save a few quid by buying the bass online, i thought i'd do the decent thing and give my business to my local guitar shop. Won't make that mistake again.

[quote name='silentbob' post='1020642' date='Nov 11 2010, 08:21 PM']Finally managed to get back to the shop today, only to be told that this is the sort of build quality i should expect from a guitar in this price range. It's now with them, waiting to be seen by the Fender rep, though they told me i shouldn't expect any different response from him.[/quote]
What a disappointing and infuritating attitude. Assuming that there ARE good examples out there (and I'm sure there are), why on earth should you "expect" anything less. Ok, it might be the case that at this price range some issues are more likely, but it shouldn't be a lottery, and if you get a lemon you should expect every effort be made to ensure it is replaced with an example of the best possible quality at this price range. Just my twopennath.

[quote name='silentbob' post='1021861' date='Nov 12 2010, 07:41 PM']In fairness to them, i'll wait and see what the Fender rep has to say before i name them, but i would feel alot better if i knew they were fighting my corner for me.
The one thing that really annoys me is that rather than save a few quid by buying the bass online, i thought i'd do the decent thing and give my business to my local guitar shop. Won't make that mistake again.[/quote]

The Sale of Goods act states that goods should be fit for purpose, but also free from minor defects.

[quote][url="http://www.inbrief.co.uk/sales-law/sale-of-goods-act.htm"]http://www.inbrief.co.uk/sales-law/sale-of-goods-act.htm[/url]

Satisfactory Quality

Section 14(2) only applies to contracts where the goods are sold in the course of a business (e.g. from a shop), otherwise the buyer is deemed to have bought the goods regardless of quality. This section inserts an implied condition that the goods are of a satisfactory quality. It does not apply however, where the seller has drawn the buyer’s attention to those defects, or where the buyer has had an opportunity to examine the goods and the defects should have been apparent.
What is satisfactory quality?

Other factors are taken into account to assess what is ‘satisfactory quality’. The assessment is made objectively, so is in relation to what a ‘reasonable’ ordinary person would think and not on the buyer’s personal opinion. The assessment should take account of the description of the goods, the price and all other relevant circumstances. Therefore a more expensive product advertised as “luxury” should be of a higher quality than one would expect of a cheaper alternative.

Quality of the goods refers to their state and condition on being supplied and should take into account other factors such as: fitness for all the purposes of which goods of that kind are usually supplied; appearance & finish; freedom from minor defects; safety; and durability. This condition also extends to all extraneous items supplied under the contract such as packaging and containers.[/quote]

I would say that your Jaguar bass is not of the quality that I would expect for over £200. And hence it is not of satisfactory quality. If the shop were telling me that I can't take it back and that's what I should expect for the price, i.e. refuse to make good the problem, then I'd be straight off to my local Trading Standards to complain. Sometimes Trading Standards need to be prodded a bit, particularly if it's a type of good that they're not familiar with, but they can be very useful if you politely persist.

What do the other reasonable consumers think about the Jaguar bass, as described, being of satisfactory quality? Personally I feel that the VMJ are the premium level of the Squier range, and that I'd expect that for the premium paid over the bottom of the line Bullets and Affinitys, that all the routing and attachment of the parts should be good.

However, I'm a bit worried about the section which talks about the user having had an opportunity to examine the goods, and whether the flaws should have been apparent. Should they have been with a standard tryout?

Edited by Annoying Twit

I'm very much appreciating all the good info in this thread - thanks to all of you! This is one of the basses I have been looking at as a possible purchase. Great to hear the good news -and maybe even better to hear to inspect closely before buying. I'll be going through Guitar Center or my local shop, so I'm not too worried, as they will want to make sure it's of good quality - but - I'll check closely before buying to save possible hassle later. It'll be interesting to hear what happens in the case of the "lemon" above. Hopefully the Fender rep will make good for you :)

Steve

• 1 month later...

After returning my bass to the shop, and not hearing anything from them for two months (i know, but what with xmas, and being in and out of hospital i just didn't get round to calling them), i finally got in touch with them to see what is happening with my bass. The response is sort of good and bad,
"The Fender rep has had a look at it, and is of the same view as us (this is the quality that is to be expected from a bass in this price range), but he is willing to exchange it for you, although he has said that the replacement might not be any better."
I can't get over this comment, and will definatly be writing to Fender UK to see what their view is on this.
Also, they annoyingly can't get hold of a replacement until February.

[quote name='silentbob' post='1081506' date='Jan 7 2011, 08:42 PM']After returning my bass to the shop, and not hearing anything from them for two months (i know, but what with xmas, and being in and out of hospital i just didn't get round to calling them), i finally got in touch with them to see what is happening with my bass. The response is sort of good and bad,
"The Fender rep has had a look at it, and is of the same view as us (this is the quality that is to be expected from a bass in this price range), but he is willing to exchange it for you, although he has said that the replacement might not be any better."
I can't get over this comment, and will definatly be writing to Fender UK to see what their view is on this.
Also, they annoyingly can't get hold of a replacement until February.[/quote]

:)

BS. You are being jerked around. These are not hard instruments to source, and none I've seen have had this issue. Complain to trading standards and try to get your money back.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally picked up my replacement bass yesterday and............it's a belter. The string problem is non-existant on this one, they run down the fretboard equally and sit across the pick up poles perfectly. The strings themselves seem to be different to the last set, not silked, and don't feel as rough to the touch. Both the control knobs work fine, with no accidental movement of the volume when the tone is moved, and to boot it was beautifully set up straight out of the box, with perfect string height and intonation.
I guess the lesson here is, no matter how good a reputaion some products have, the odd one is always going to slip through QC. Anyhow, i'm just glad it's all sorted now.