Why become a member? ×

P Bass mods?

stingrayPete1977

OK this is the score so far. I have already modded my Affinity series Squier Jazz to the max barring the finish which I cant decide on so for now its metalic candy apple red (Yak) but until something jumps out at me im leaving it like it is. To that I have refinished the head with a purposfully crap Fender decal and full size open tuners,The fret edges have been dressed in properly,It has a Badass II bridge,Bartolini SJ1 pickups,An EBS Pre amp with the jack socket drilled out and mounted in the body to create a spare control plate hole for the extra pot,And finished off with a Fender black 3 ply Pickguard.So as you can see bar the finish thats that.

Hence project 2-I have picked up off the Evilbay an Affinity series P Bass to do the same/similar with. Its black and plays ok so the plan stands as-

1-New Fender large open tuners (squier small ones are pants even with just home use)
2-Get my mate to dress the fret edges in (Not as sharp as the Jazz ones were to be fair)
3-Bridge maybe Badass again or ideas please? (BBOT is crap im not even having the discussion and its bits have moved about already!)
4-New 3 ply pickguard maybe w/b/w? or go stealthy b/w/b? and maybe 62RI style with an added thumb rest?
5-Pots are rubbish on it, Not sure here though? (tone is on or off as is)
6-The big one folks [color="#FF0000"]WHAT PICKUP?[/color] I have in my ebay watch list a few already,Wilkinson,Stelluh,EMG,Seymour etc etc etc?

Any ideas welcome and Im not sure what its going to be for really,I have 2 MM's and a Jazz so its just to add an extra bow really,Thanks. :)

P.S Im not thinking active as all my others are already.

[quote name='Buzz' post='956669' date='Sep 14 2010, 10:33 PM']Instead of spending all your money on upgrades to a Squier Affinity series have you considered saving a little and buying a used Jap?

Seems a bit silly to chuck good parts onto cheap wood.[/quote]

I did try and get one of them but the deal fell through plus where is the fun in that? And I have my pre EB for when I fancy playing some no so cheap wood :)
If you tried this Jazz you would not say that anyway trust me its really good and lightweight too.

And I can always change the body at a later date anyway,Then the neck..........

Edited by stingrayPete1977