Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection 310 Active Bass

basskit_case

[quote name='basskit_case' post='955724' date='Sep 14 2010, 09:13 AM']I recently purchased the above bass, but have found the active’ness’ to be a bit ‘meh’.

I am sure this is a Noddy question , but Is there a good way to check the state of the electrics on an active bass?[/quote]

I think the active'ness' is the weakest part of these otherwise great basses. If there's a fresh battery, you can hear the EQ working and it's not distorted, then it's probably working fine. It's just not very good! May be worth checking for adjustable pots inside the electronics cavity (one of mine had that) which you could note the position of then try tweaking, see what they do.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='955844' date='Sep 14 2010, 11:14 AM']I think the active'ness' is the weakest part of these otherwise great basses. If there's a fresh battery, you can hear the EQ working and it's not distorted, then it's probably working fine. It's just not very good! May be worth checking for adjustable pots inside the electronics cavity (one of mine had that) which you could note the position of then try tweaking, see what they do.[/quote]

May have found the problem, took the back plate off and could see that the positive cable connecting the battery to the socket jack had come away at the socket jack, perhaps a dry joint on the solder?

This was an eBay purchase, and the guitar had not been packaged well at all, wonder if this could have caused the problem?

My only dilemma is wether to return the bass or keep it and begin my guitar electrics education.

[quote name='basskit_case' post='956748' date='Sep 14 2010, 11:36 PM']This was an eBay purchase, and the guitar had not been packaged well at all, wonder if this could have caused the problem?

My only dilemma is wether to return the bass or keep it and begin my guitar electrics education.[/quote]

It might be the reason why the seller wanted to move it on!

Soldering that wire back on isn't a big deal - you're in Ipswich? I'm happy to pop round with my soldering iron if you want some help.

I ended up replacing the electronics on my 465 with one of the Artec pre-amps. That made a big difference.

[quote name='pete.young' post='957092' date='Sep 15 2010, 12:20 PM']It might be the reason why the seller wanted to move it on!

Soldering that wire back on isn't a big deal - you're in Ipswich? I'm happy to pop round with my soldering iron if you want some help.

I ended up replacing the electronics on my 465 with one of the Artec pre-amps. That made a big difference.[/quote]

Hello Pete,

I am in Ipswich, just off Cauldwell Hall Road. Thanks for the offer, very much appreciated, but took the bass into work yesterday and managed to get the repair done at lunchtime.

Knowledge of electronics and using a soldering iron is definately something I need to work on.

[quote name='basskit_case' post='958051' date='Sep 16 2010, 09:50 AM']Hello Pete,

I am in Ipswich, just off Cauldwell Hall Road. Thanks for the offer, very much appreciated, but took the bass into work yesterday and managed to get the repair done at lunchtime.

Knowledge of electronics and using a soldering iron is definately something I need to work on.[/quote]

Hurrah! What do you think of it now? I must say that on both mine I found that the treble control mainly just added hiss. But I still love these basses.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='958719' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:38 PM']Hurrah! What do you think of it now? I must say that on both mine I found that the treble control mainly just added hiss. But I still love these basses.[/quote]

I love the size and weight of the bass, it’s very easy to play, just find the active preamp a bit underwhelming.

I think I will keep an eye on any Bass Collection basses coming up on eBay, I would love to try some of the others in the range.

Mine is not too badly affected with unwanted noise, one of the previous owners of the bass has shielded the electronics with kit-kat foil at some point.

[quote name='basskit_case' post='959145' date='Sep 17 2010, 09:32 AM']I think I will keep an eye on any Bass Collection basses coming up on eBay, I would love to try some of the others in the range.[/quote]

Glad you got it sorted.

flippyfloop had a nice-looking 460 in the for sale forums not so long ago.

I have a 5-string SB 465, a fretless SB 330 and an SB 310 strung BEAD. You're welcome to drop in next time you're passing Martlesham Heath for a play and a cup of tea.

[quote name='pete.young' post='960209' date='Sep 18 2010, 10:11 AM']Glad you got it sorted.

flippyfloop had a nice-looking 460 in the for sale forums not so long ago.

I have a 5-string SB 465, a fretless SB 330 and an SB 310 strung BEAD. You're welcome to drop in next time you're passing Martlesham Heath for a play and a cup of tea.[/quote]

Thanks Pete, appreciate it, might just take you up on that offer.