Why become a member? ×

Strange foot switch issue

pantherairsoft

Hi,

I have a Moogerfooger MF-102 Ring Modulator. I was having some issues with the foot switch where I had to press it 4 or 5 times for it to turn off… As such I took it to a local store who replaced the foot switch for a new one for me today.

Just got in and tried the pedal and something very odd is happening… firstly it seems to be on a 2-press cycle, so pressing the foot swich means it only works every other time without fail, so pressing in sequence is - On, On, Off, Off, On, On, Off, Off etc…

Secondly, whilst the pedal is 'on', just touching the foot switch turns the pedal on and off. By touching I mean literally like you would touch an iPhone. This works while the jack is either connected to an instrument, or held in your hand. If you unplug from the bass and put the jack on the floor then the touch sensitive system doesn't work. Its as if th pedal is taking a charge from me and using that to electrically turn the pedal on and off…

Confused? I am!

I will obviously take it back tomorrow to the chap that fitted the new switch, but wondered if anyone could shed some light on either the 2-press cycle, or the odd 'touch' control its developed!

Shep

Good point but if your circuit only requires a trigger then a latching switch can only supply that every second hit. It may be that while in the "half on" position that simply earthing it is a sufficient trigger hence the change of state by touching. I might be totally wrong though - I'm in the middle of a bad migraine and am finding it hard to think clearly (it took me 4 attempts to write the word "that" a minute ago) but it seemed to make sense to me during a moment of clarity. :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='955304' date='Sep 13 2010, 08:02 PM']The circuit is wired so the switch says to it 'change' instead of 'be on' or 'be off'. Latching is the switch having to hold it down, but it wants just a poke, hence the twice, to get the effect of a poke from a switch that holds down, as it were. It's easier to explain with the use of a finger.[/quote]

I think I need the finger then… I have had a long day, but don't understand the explanation! lol

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='955308' date='Sep 13 2010, 08:04 PM']Good point but if your circuit only requires a trigger then a latching switch can only supply that every second hit. It may be that while in the "half on" position that simply earthing it is a sufficient trigger hence the change of state by touching. I might be totally wrong though - I'm in the middle of a bad migraine and am finding it hard to think clearly (it took me 4 attempts to write the word "that" a minute ago) but it seemed to make sense to me during a moment of clarity. :)[/quote]

That I understand… Assuming it's correct, it makes perfect sense! :-)