Why become a member? ×

Hartke 2500

Wylie

New [b]Hartke 2500[/b] amp head, $265 new from my music shop but $250 online [EDIT: as of 11/7/2011, they are about $299 online]. Highly recommended to anyone needing this size amp.

Runs 250 watts through two 8-ohm speakers, 180 watts through one speaker.

25 pounds, with handle on side, quite easy to carry. I stick mine in a canvas carryall for protection.

[b]Two preamps[/b], a tube emulation and a contemporary/solid state preamp. The tube-type preamp delivers a nice fat round tone, which with my old P-bass sounded great. With my Squier jazz, a combination of the two preamps does the trick. My Squier has DiMarzio pickups, and the sound of these (with neck predominating) is very strong.

[b]Compression[/b]: dials 1-10. Playing loud and hard, compression at 8 keeps the more solid lower notes from blasting and prevents higher-note shrieking.

Ten [b]EQ[/b] sliders, with on/off switch. Very sensitive.

Two somewhat redundant [b]contour controls[/b]. These are apparently intended give a quick reduction of hiss or rumble. You can do the same with the EQ, but with these, of course, you just turn one knob for a quick adjustment.

[b]Inputs[/b] for active or passive instruments.

Line out, effects line in/out. Ground lift. Two speakers out.

I've had it for about a year and a half and I've used it in large and small rooms, also some outdoor gigs. I run a single Schroeder 12-inch light speaker, and this amp through that speaker is loud and strong--not just loud. With the pre-amp(s) at seven and master volume at 3 or 4, it is LOUD. This amp puts out a strong, contemporary sound.

Internal operation is quiet. All buttons, sliders, knobs and connections are top quality. Fan.

Build quality: 10
Sound quality/versatility: 10
Customer support: Excellent, via email.
[b]Excellent value for the money, great value, period.[/b]

tg

Edited by tedgilley

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1112045' date='Feb 2 2011, 04:35 AM']Hello

I've just ordered one of these but curious - does it have a headphone jack or can I just use an adaptor to plug my headphones in to the speaker jack (instead of the cab) for playing at night?[/quote]

Sorry, no headphone jack. The inputs are for active and passive instruments (both can be used at the same time). Don't know about the speaker jack, and I don't have phones to try that out.

tg

Edited by tedgilley