Why become a member? ×

Moooooooog

CaptKrimbo

Ok, I've been salivating over the [b]Moog Bass MuRF MF-105B Moogerfooger[/b] pedal for a while now and, before i splash the cash I should really be putting towards a new car, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with it/knows anyone who has/has any thoughts?

It just makes me excited in a way my parents would be deeply disapproving of... :)

Depends on what you want the pedal to do & the type of music you play.
I think it's a brilliant pedal & have a review of it with sound clips in the reviews section on here (I'd link, but it's a pain to do on the phone).
Drummers can have trouble trying to keep tempo with it but if they play to a click then you can send a pulse into the tap tempo in from the click.
I have the footswitch in the tap tempo but often take an out from the mf-101 into the rate for some strange effects as it starts fast & slows down.

I don't use the sequencer side of it as much as it was meant for & find I use it as a flashy eq with a wobble on it & often use the B channel for the lfo effect & sometimes just as an overdrive.

If you wanna know more about it, let me know.

Bass Murf is an odd beast, and as mentioned its not the drummers best friend unless you are all midi-sync'd to tempo as a band. The pedal is amazing quality and can do some great stuff, but I always feel as though its more of a solo performance/DJ's friend than a band members.

I now use the MF-102 Ring Modulator and have played with and lust for a 101 Low Pass Filter… Soon :-) But I could never see myself using the Murf as it should be used after lots and lots of demo'ing it, I decided to leave be.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='951377' date='Sep 10 2010, 01:44 AM']Depends on what you want the pedal to do & the type of music you play.
I think it's a brilliant pedal & have a review of it with sound clips in the reviews section on here (I'd link, but it's a pain to do on the phone).
Drummers can have trouble trying to keep tempo with it but if they play to a click then you can send a pulse into the tap tempo in from the click.
I have the footswitch in the tap tempo but often take an out from the mf-101 into the rate for some strange effects as it starts fast & slows down.

I don't use the sequencer side of it as much as it was meant for & find I use it as a flashy eq with a wobble on it & often use the B channel for the lfo effect & sometimes just as an overdrive.

If you wanna know more about it, let me know.[/quote]

Thanks, mate. Well I used to play mostly stoner rock/classic rock, but these days I'm actually just doing solo post/stoner rock noodling, really. Drum machine and multi layers of bass harmonies etc. I won't pretend it's breaking any barriers but I'm enjoying it! :) I currently run through my ancient Park amp (which i really need to replace) and record stuff using a stereo double (or as the ex called it: two mics pointing at the amp), or plugged directly into the 8track depending on the effect i'm looking for.

Basically I'm just thinking it's going to expand the possibilities of what i can do re: sounds, phasing, ambience etc. Obviously the timing issue isn;t a big problem as i mostly just sequence my own beats, and if i do jam with a drummer we always used to reherse to a click and so automatically continue to do so. It's strikes me from what I've heard that it's a pedal that benefits from lots of fiddling within a solo environment which is one of the reasons i'm interested in it as it's virtually all i do, but in all honesty the only pedal i've purchased and been 100% happy with was my 3rd gen Big Muff hence my seeking advice. Would you say then that to get the best out of it it's worth teaming it with a MF-101?

Great review, by the way, and any advice is always welcomed.

From the sound of what you're looking for, it might be what you're after.
You can take a CV or click from your drum machine to sync it up & the envelope control will allow the sound to go from short ckicky staccato to reverse sounding notes & everything in-between. It also has stereo outputs which you might find useful.

Teaming it up with any of the moog pedals or any other pedal with CV out will allow for further experimenting & weird/wonderful sounds, but isn't a must need for good results.

[quote name='Wud' post='952711' date='Sep 11 2010, 01:51 PM']Have you considered the midi murf ?
Has all of the bass, and also the normal murf filter settings, but also has midi so you could sync the murf to the drum machine using midi as opposed to using a click.[/quote]

I hadn't, in all honesty. It's a good point, though...may have to look at the Midi Murf a bit more closely, then!