Why become a member? ×

Technique advice

synthetic

I've only just bought a bass and don't want to get into bad habits while I'm learning. I am watching various tutorials on basics and some are showing muting the strings by thumb as you move string and others say to use the left hand. The tutorials are both showing the same playing style just different muting.

Maybe there is a bit of both but, is one regarded as being the better technique to practice?

[quote name='synthetic' post='950425' date='Sep 9 2010, 11:36 AM']is one regarded as being the better technique to practice?[/quote]

No.

Personally I mute strings above the one I'm playing with my fretting hand, and strings below with the spare fingers on my picking hand. I think. Maybe I don't, it's not something I think about, but that's how I imagine it works...

Some players can get quite fervent about promoting convoluted techniques they saw in a Hot Licks video once, but just do whatever works for you, there's no wrong way to play the bass.

Edited by thisnameistaken

It becomes more important on 5 or 6 string basses and needs more thought to keep everything under control.

Also playing slap style requires much more muting on your fretting hand as your thumbing hand is pretty much off the bass most of the time. Possibly also true for pick playing too but you can use the palm of your picking hand to mute too.

Actually there are wrong ways to play bass - any position that feels uncomfortable or causes pain. Make sure you don't force playing if it hurts in any way, read about carpal tunnel syndrome or nerve inflammation in general. Warm up before playing, precaution is better than treatment.

[quote name='galore' post='950491' date='Sep 9 2010, 12:23 PM']Actually there are wrong ways to play bass - any position that feels uncomfortable or causes pain. Make sure you don't force playing if it hurts in any way, read about carpal tunnel syndrome or nerve inflammation in general. Warm up before playing, precaution is better than treatment.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more!

It is poor advice to say "there's no wrong way to play a bass"

There are lots of wrong ways to play, most of which can cause serious (and sometimes permanent) damage.

As "galore" says, warm-ups are very important - try looking at this site for more information [url="http://www.bapam.org.uk/perf_intro.html"]http://www.bapam.org.uk/perf_intro.html[/url]

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='950522' date='Sep 9 2010, 12:48 PM']It is poor advice to say "there's no wrong way to play a bass"

There are lots of wrong ways to play, most of which can cause serious (and sometimes permanent) damage.[/quote]

I had given the OP the benefit of the doubt and assumed he/she would be smart enough to avoid using high stress wrist positions for long periods.

It's alarmist and untrue to say there are lots of wrong ways to play, which can cause serious and sometimes permanent damage. I don't know anybody who suffered crippling consequences from playing bass guitar.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='950716' date='Sep 9 2010, 03:33 PM']It's alarmist and untrue to say there are lots of wrong ways to play, which can cause serious and sometimes permanent damage. I don't know anybody who suffered crippling consequences from playing bass guitar.[/quote]

RSI is the most common and that comes from over-playing, regardless of how you play.

I appreciate that it's alarmist to say there are lots of wrong ways, but that was simply stated to counterbalance your flippant comment about "there's NO wrong way to play the bass" which is the opposing extreme.

However, I at least provided some useful information about the risks to performers and simply offered a word of caution to a beginner, who clearly doesn't understand the implications of good/bad technique, as they are asking for help.

Thanks again for the replies guys. Yeah it's fair point about rsi as I do have issues with that from working at the computer for long periods over the years. I am keeping an eye on how I have my hand placed so it's more inline with the bass than right angled off the top.

Thisnameistaken, I have been alternating fingers as it felt more fluid and sort of made sense.

[quote name='synthetic' post='950796' date='Sep 9 2010, 04:36 PM']Thisnameistaken, I have been alternating fingers as it felt more fluid and sort of made sense.[/quote]

It's amazing that it took so long for people to start playing like that, isn't it? I don't understand why thumb rests are still put underneath the strings rather than above them (well, it is on the CV Jazz).

[quote name='lanark' post='950850' date='Sep 9 2010, 05:28 PM']I don't understand why thumb rests are still put underneath the strings rather than above them (well, it is on the CV Jazz).[/quote]

Stick flatwounds on your jazz, mute the strings with your palm and pick with your thumb. It sounds dope.

I'll have your tug bar if you're not using it. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='950860' date='Sep 9 2010, 05:41 PM']Stick flatwounds on your jazz, mute the strings with your palm and pick with your thumb. It sounds dope.

I'll have your tug bar if you're not using it. :)[/quote]

You mean I've got to learn ANOTHER technique? I've barely got used to the first one! :rolleyes: