Why become a member? ×

Fundamentals and Harmonics

grapevinebass

Please help me out here. I may be missing something really simple, but I think I am about to delve into arcane areas...

My frequency chart tells me that my E-string open vibrates at 41.203Hz and my G-string at 97.999Hz.

My amp has a bass EQ, 2 sliders, a Mid EQ, 2 sliders and a Treble EQ.

The manual states that the Bass Eq operates around 45Hz, and the first slider at 110Hz.

Thats it then - I seem to be off the scale! Even octave G is 196Hz, which does not even reach the range of the second slider (at 340Hz).

So what does the second slider and up do for me?

Well, I guess it must be working on string harmonics.

Can you guys tell me what the key harmonic frequencies are for each string, so I can better experiment with useful EQ settings.

Thanks

Harmonics are frequencies generated at whole number multiples of the fundamental frequency. Even order harmonics - 2x, 4x, 6x the fundamental etc - are considered preferable to the ear than odd order harmonics - 3x, 5x, 7x the fundamental etc. Even order harmonics are usually much greater in amplitude than odd order harmonics.

So, multiply the fundamental by these multiples to get the harmonic frequencies. If you do this for every conceivable note that can be played you'll end up with a real tangled jumble of frequencies to consider! Far better to consider broad frequency bands that might want to be boosted or cut. Which is what most tone controls do really, either graphically or via rotary controls.

Generally speaking, most cabinets introduce a boxy colouration that would benefit from a cut in the 200 to 600 Hz region. Some expensive cabs don't, but they are in the minority. Boosting the high mids adds definition, and boosting the low mids adds poke, but in both cases we are boosting harmonic frequencies rather than fundamentals.

Just a though - I reckon that a Rick or a Stingray generates more even order harmonics - or fewer odd order - than say a Precision or a Jazz. I've no way of measuring this - just a hunch.

You can pretty much ignore the fundamental for a bass, for example if you play an open E it'll generate much more O/P at it's 2nd harmonic (82) than 41Hz. In a band situation you want to have plenty of mid freq content, say 100-150 to a few hundred. Of course if you're into fingerboard gymnastics or bass soloing (or other bedroom stuff that nobody else wants to hear) then you might need a bit of high end to your sound.

Although your EQ says that operates at 45Hz on the bass EQ this just means this is the middle of the selections of frequencies that it is controlling. When you play with EQ you move a whole selection of frequencies not just a select frequency (usually... there are some that do this). The amount of frequencies it controls are known as the "Q" or width.
So chances are your also selecting frequencies below 45Hz too :)

Yay techy moment