Why become a member? ×

Which strings for my bass?

phil.mcglassup

Apart from the strings it came with, what might be the best strings to get for my Hofner Contemporary Violin bass?

I know with this model it is not going to sound like a beatles bass due to it's sustain block :) but I would like it to sound more like one than it does now if possible.

I've read that flat wound strings are the ones to get but different VB owners seem to go for different strings.

I'm a bit of a newbie so what playability differences might I expect?

As usual any info appreciated!!

Cheers all.

Would those be the Hofner H1133B's ?

I've done a bit more searching and found that the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flatwounds for the beatle bass 760FHB2 (39/56/77/96) are the ones to have. If so, who stocks them? Will they still fit OK on mine as it's a Contemporary model as opposed to the 'original' ? They ain't cheap!!

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='949263' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:16 AM']I've done a bit more searching and found that the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flatwounds for the beatle bass 760FHB2 (39/56/77/96) are the ones to have.[/quote]

That's a fairly US-centric view, where they can't easily get the Rotos, or the Hofner, strings. LaBellas [i]are[/i] hard to get over here, which why I use Roto 88s and GHS nylon flats. But Thomann carry them all (I think).

Arhhh!! It all makes sense now.

I've never used flats before -how much difference do they make to the playability?

Finally, I don't know what gauge the standard strings I have on it at the moment are, but would thicker strings affect the neck relief due to different tension? Might they be too much?And I've read somewhere of peeps having problems putting the .115" E string through the hole in the tuner!!
Any thoughts?

Sooo many questions :blush:

[quote name='hoiho' post='949412' date='Sep 8 2010, 01:36 PM']That's a fairly US-centric view, where they can't easily get the Rotos, or the Hofner, strings. LaBellas [i]are[/i] hard to get over here, which why I use Roto 88s and GHS nylon flats. But Thomann carry them all (I think).[/quote]
Labellas are easy to get in the UK from the great StringBusters... :)

[url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/LA%20BELLA/"]http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?...NGS/LA%20BELLA/[/url]

Good point.

Am I right in thinking that the '760' in the Item No. is the scale length? If so, this works out at 30" whereas I think mine is 30.5". So might I need the 32" version (if there is one) ?

I did read somewhere that the 'non-silked' section of the string should not allowed to be wrapped around the tuning peg -is that right?

I told you I had loads of questions :)

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='949594' date='Sep 8 2010, 04:42 PM']Am I right in thinking that the '760' in the Item No. is the scale length? If so, this works out at 30" whereas I think mine is 30.5". So might I need the 32" version (if there is one) ?[/quote]
Getting 32" (medium scale) strings is [i]even more[/i] of a pain that getting short scale ones. I have a 32" Aria, and the choice of strings really isn't great (especially if you don't want to use Rotos).

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='949594' date='Sep 8 2010, 04:42 PM']I did read somewhere that the 'non-silked' section of the string should not allowed to be wrapped around the tuning peg -is that right?[/quote]
That's Right.

So ideally, do I need to get a (cloth) tape measure and measure a string from under the ball to the nut and that will give me the scale length? I assume any strings specifically made for the violin basses will fit my Contemporary just fine.

I read that some violin basses have slightly different scale lengths so it might be wise to ask the question first eh?

The saddles on mine are staggered - but not enough!! At least the intonation is correct.

I think most string manufacturers claim that McCartney used their strings on his Hofner though maybe he changed supplier depending on who paid the most!!

What's the situation regarding getting LaBellas in from America? Anyone else want some?