Why become a member? ×

ken smith proto j 5 mods

andysg42

thinking of upgrading my ksd5 with dimarzio+sadowsky inboard or aguilar obp1 think ag the same as sadowsky...
woundering if anyones done any mods to proto js before..
great bass just think the pickups and pre might be letting it down.bit pop and crackle,eats batteries
any ideas without spending to much dosh.
thanks Andy

I would go for the EBS preamp. I used to have a Proto-J both a 4 string and 5 string version and Bernie Goodfellow fitted an EBS preamp into both and it made a huge difference to the sound. I don't think that the stock p/ups in them are much cop TBH.

[quote name='andysg42' post='946335' date='Sep 5 2010, 04:28 PM']thinking of upgrading my ksd5 with dimarzio+sadowsky inboard or aguilar obp1 think ag the same as sadowsky...
woundering if anyones done any mods to proto js before..
great bass just think the pickups and pre might be letting it down.bit pop and crackle,eats batteries
any ideas without spending to much dosh.
thanks Andy[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='946413' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:42 PM']I would go for the EBS preamp. I used to have a Proto-J both a 4 string and 5 string version and Bernie Goodfellow fitted an EBS preamp into both and it made a huge difference to the sound. I don't think that the stock p/ups in them are much cop TBH.[/quote]

Thanks,interesting tbh.
been using ebs td650 212 pro and 410 pro amazing kit,didnt realise ebs did inboard preamps for bass.
do you remember how much it cost?why did you get rid of yours? that lovely gb in your photo??
thanks Andy

Hi Andy,

Yeah I didn't know either until Bernie mentioned it to me too! As you may know Bernie used to be the UK importer for KSD basses and he felt that the tone was lacking so used to put the EBS pre-amp into all of his basses. I imported mine direct from the states before I knew him which is why my 4 string was done afterwards.

The pre-amp offered a really top end "zing" and a nice bass boost too.

I think off the top of my head it cost about £200 ish for the pre-amp and fitting.

I got rid off the 4 basses that I had to pay for my GB Rumour and the 4 string was one of these, whilst Bernie was building my GB I needed a bass so bought a 5 string KSD from him too. In the end I got rid of that because I never quite clicked with a 5 string and also once I got the Rumour nothing else got a look in.

Yes that is my Rumour in the pic - cracking walnut on her!!

[quote name='andysg42' post='946475' date='Sep 5 2010, 06:20 PM']Thanks,interesting tbh.
been using ebs td650 212 pro and 410 pro amazing kit,didnt realise ebs did inboard preamps for bass.
do you remember how much it cost?why did you get rid of yours? that lovely gb in your photo??
thanks Andy[/quote]