Why become a member? ×

Squier P-bass jack skt. wiring

jimbaby

Hi
Managed to blag this bass very cheap as it was in a sorry state and didn't work, managed to de-sticker it and clean it up quite nicely, now to the problem.
The jack skt. has been turning and has severed all It's connections, I can see a green co-ax cable with a white insulated centre core which I take to be the pos and neg.
There is also a black wire going through the body in the direction of the bridge which I have decided in my wisdom is the earth (please correct me if I'm wrong).
On looking at the jack skt. there is only two tabs to solder on to and three connections (including the earth), can anyone clarify this for me please.
Regards
Jim

The black wire going in the direction of the bridge is the earth, but it needs to go on the back of the volume pot rather than the output (though in theory it could go on the output).
Centre of the green cable goes on the hot of the output jack (inner ring) and the ground from the insulation goes on the outer connector.
Should be simple, generally, I've always gone for the "stick them all on, and if it doesn't work then move them around" method, til they get right. It's how I learn...

[quote name='jimbaby' post='943375' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:49 PM']Hi
Thanks for the prompt and informative replies guys, just the job.
Regards
Jim[/quote]

I've managed to snap the internal wiring on my Squier Affinity P-bass before now. I learned that if you're tightening your loose jack socket, don't just turn the nut - use something to keep that socket right in place cos it's dead easy to turn the screw thread enough to break everything inside - and every time you touch your volume pot the band holds their ears.