Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1976 - what's one worth?

nobodysprefect

I've been offered a '76 P-bass. The owner claims it's a fantastic player. From what I've seen in the pics, at the very least the pickguard is non-original, electronics, poss. original, finish and neck look to be in original config. It's a player, not a closet specimen. Thing is, older Fs are so rare here in Finland the owner thinks it's worth quite a bit.

I'm not really interested in how it plays and sounds apart from what I can say about it in the for sale ad. I can't say it's a killer P with great low buzzfree action if it's a dud. Assuming it really is a great player, how much would a well-gigged, non-original pg, poss electronics P-bass fetch in the UK? I'm probably better off selling it in Finland, but am asking nevertheless.

Any help would be appreciated and rewarded with a pint should the helper come to Turku and claim it!

If it were all 100% original and in store-fresh condition it could be worth anything a collector is willing to pay (typically, ridiculous money!)

Given this is not the case however, I would estimate at the very most it would be worth around 1700 pounds.
I´ve seen 78´s gor for anything up to 2,200 pounds-but those are stupid prices (usually aroud 1200-1500 is more accurate)
Again, the replacement pg would detract from that price, as would mojo/damage and lack of original case.
In the end, it´s really only worth what you think it´s worth. Try and have a play on it if you can and decide.
If it´s only being considered because it´s vintage (and you want a vintage Fender), fair enough, but if it´s just cause it´s a Fender- consider saving yourself some cash and getting a new Am Std. P bass (or 2!)

1976 was a transitional year for Fender with the serial numbers being moved so they are a bit more collectable, arguably. The pickguard being non original is going affect his price though. I bought a 1978 with original receipt, strings, no mods & that was £1500. Some of the mid 70s stuff is now £2000 BUT it depends on condition, history & being original. You really need to post some pictures but I guess without the original pickguard you'd be looking at no more than £1500 at the top end and £1200 as a starting price if the paintwork is originally & it doesn't need or has had a refret

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='938764' date='Aug 28 2010, 01:44 PM']wow - you guys [i]really [/i]know your stuff! I suppose I'll take a better look at the bass and if it plays well, I'll get to negotiating the price. Some crazy prices you've quoted here for basses in original config though![/quote]

Sounds like a plan man! :)
Stay objective though-if it isn´t what you´re after, walk away-another will come along that might be exactly what you´re looking for.
They are vintage, but not too rare. More like buses- you spend your time waiting for one...

As for the reward-pop that pint in a waterproof envelope and send it to... :rolleyes:

Good luck mate