Why become a member? ×

Big M9 flaw IMO...

1976fenderhead

Just got it today, only played around for a couple of hours but read all advanced instructions, etc.

My problem is with the so-called Model Default settings. Here's the situation:
I have 5 fx units assigned. I'm testing wahs for the 6th. I pick one model and adjust it to my liking (Mix at 50%). Now I move to the next wah and adjust it the same way (Mix at 50%). Now I want to go back to the previous wah to hear how it sounded again and compare... settings went back to default (Mix at 100%)!!!!

Am I the only one thinking this is absurd? Wouldn't it be great if you could set up a load of fx to the best of your liking and every time you recalled it it would come with YOUR settings and not the default rubbish settings?

The only way I can see to somehow work around this is to use Manual scene saving or some other process which will involve changing scenes, or having a whole scene just for testing where I'd have 6 wahs and compare one by one, for example...

I hope they fix this in a future update because it's a major drawback for me...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='935740' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:51 AM']Yeah it is a bit annoying but they'd need way more memory if they had to remember your settings for all 90+ effects in every slot in every scene.

I managed to copy one scene over another at band practice last night, using only my foot! Imagine if you did that at a gig.[/quote]

Another flaw. speaking of gigs, is what if you press both tuner switches by accident while wanting to press only one? You go silent just like that! Should be press and hold!

Even with the memory issue, I don't know, it's a huge thing, They should leave that option open for fx to retain last setting, can't take that much more space!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='935766' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:11 AM']Another flaw. speaking of gigs, is what if you press both tuner switches by accident while wanting to press only one? You go silent just like that! Should be press and hold![/quote]

Yeah I've done that too. And entered the setup menu when I've forgotten how the switches work and tried to turn off two effects at the same time...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='935766' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:11 AM']Even with the memory issue, I don't know, it's a huge thing, They should leave that option open for fx to retain last setting, can't take that much more space![/quote]

Well yeah it would to be fair. Say you've got 144 slots to remember (6 effects, 24 scenes) and you need a word to remember the settings for a single patch. Then you add the facility to remember what your settings were on each of those patches for each effect you're not using. Given 100 optional effects per stomp slot that increases your memory overhead by 100x. So you go from needing 144 words for your patch memory to needing 14,400. That is a big deal.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='935787' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:27 AM']Yeah I've done that too. And entered the setup menu when I've forgotten how the switches work and tried to turn off two effects at the same time...

Well yeah it would to be fair. Say you've got 144 slots to remember (6 effects, 24 scenes) and you need a word to remember the settings for a single patch. Then you add the facility to remember what your settings were on each of those patches for each effect you're not using. Given 100 optional effects per stomp slot that increases your memory overhead by 100x. So you go from needing 144 words for your patch memory to needing 14,400. That is a big deal.[/quote]

If that was a real problem, could be worked around by, if you selected that option, being limited to say the last 144 settings (or even a lot less, would still be ok for me if it was 40 for example). Or you'd be able to have only one folder for example. I doubt I'll need more than one anyway, as personally even more than a couple of scenes will probably cause me to f-up in a gig, calling up the wrong one, forgetting what fx was where, etc :-p

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='935538' date='Aug 25 2010, 12:04 AM']Just got it today, only played around for a couple of hours but read all advanced instructions, etc.

My problem is with the so-called Model Default settings. Here's the situation:
I have 5 fx units assigned. I'm testing wahs for the 6th. I pick one model and adjust it to my liking (Mix at 50%). Now I move to the next wah and adjust it the same way (Mix at 50%). Now I want to go back to the previous wah to hear how it sounded again and compare... settings went back to default (Mix at 100%)!!!!

Am I the only one thinking this is absurd? Wouldn't it be great if you could set up a load of fx to the best of your liking and every time you recalled it it would come with YOUR settings and not the default rubbish settings?

The only way I can see to somehow work around this is to use Manual scene saving or some other process which will involve changing scenes, or having a whole scene just for testing where I'd have 6 wahs and compare one by one, for example...

I hope they fix this in a future update because it's a major drawback for me...[/quote]

Can you not just have another scene set up specifically to try out wahs, then make a note of the settings and add that to the sixth effect in the originsl scene?

The one about it not remembering settings isn't a problem to me really. I'd imagine it isn't a problem to most users either. As has been mentioned, setting up a scene just for A/Bing and testing wahs, then copying over the one you like most would work well.

The one about muting by accident is a small problem, I've done that A LOT. Those buttons are close together. But they've done miracles getting the functionality into that box, and of course it is always going to be a compromise compared to the M13 in that respect. But the way I see it, other units have problems just like that, if not worse, and it's still the only multi FX I've been remotely happy with.

Just remember, nothing is flawless! :)

Regarding going into tuner mode or setup mode or whatever though - I think that's something they need to fix with a setup option so it requires a long press. The whole unit is based around this concept that you've got three stomp boxes infront of you. When you step on two of them at once, it should turn two of them on/off at once, not mute your signal and show you a tuner.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='936603' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:29 PM']Regarding going into tuner mode or setup mode or whatever though - I think that's something they need to fix with a setup option so it requires a long press. The whole unit is based around this concept that you've got three stomp boxes infront of you. When you step on two of them at once, it should turn two of them on/off at once, not mute your signal and show you a tuner.[/quote]

+1.

Still regarding the potential memory issue with keeping your last settings: You already have 109 settings saved for 109 fx. Wouldn't it just be a case of your setting overwriting the default one? So no more memory needed.

The only thing is, you'd lose the capacity to do a master reset to the fx settings, since the defaults would no longer be there, but you could always load them via MIDI from your PC... But tell me if I'm talking rubbish.

I pretty much agree with Finbar, there are compromises to be made, but they are great units. The long press to activate tuner mode is a goos idea, have you been to the line 6 website and added it as a feature request for a future update?

I switched to an M13 recently (primarily because I wanted the fx loops for parallel processing) but I think the M13 interface is more user friendly. On the flip side, I now have a pedal board I could park my car on.

I read on harmony central they're considering to keep last user setting for fx in a future update so if that's true not so hard after all... Will check on Line 6 website where to leave a feature request.

I'd love to have 1 fx loop too, tough I understand the cost (and space) constraints in this. I'd gladly give up the stereo in and expression in no. 2 for that, but that's just me :-)

I suggested a few things to them for an update too a while ago. No idea what they were now, thinking back on it! :) Think one of them was an OC-2 model (not mad keen on the Octabass model), and one was for some drive settings with clean blend controls. Wonder if they'll make it into a future patch ;p Press and hold for the setup and tuner would be excellent additions.

However, I think if we really want a change, the more people who suggest it to them, the better? I know even if a dozen of us all suggest something, it's only a drop in the ocean, but you never know!

How do you go about making a request, you just post on their M9 forum?

Yeah the Octabass is pretty poor, the harmoniser model in the filters actually sounds better to my ears! They need to get an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe model there or make the EBS model right!

And yeah, I notice a volume drop with most filters which makes them unusable. Filters are really poor for bass I think, apart from that harmoniser, the Whammy and the Mutron models. Some modulations lose volume too.

So far loving the phasers and rotary drum, flangers and choruses are not brilliant but are usable enough. Distortions all sound fake but I love the tube compressor which I think I'll have on all the time :) Still have to test delays and reverbs tonight.