Why become a member? ×

Strange clicking noise from speaker/bass

danweb22

Sorted!!!!

Sound clip now added (ACG)

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=1401485718.wav"]Click Sound[/url]

and my Cort fretless (no clicking noise)

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=523440765.wav"]Cort Fretless[/url]

Edited by danweb22

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='934161' date='Aug 23 2010, 08:49 PM']Do you live near an airport or radar equipment?

I used to live in sight of a large radar and it would make my telly and guitar amp click every couple of second.[/quote]

Nearest airport is probably 10 miles away (only a small grass runway type) and no radars nearby as far as I'm aware :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='934700' date='Aug 24 2010, 01:06 PM']Got a wristwatch with hands? Get a click every time it moves, if your wrist is near the pickup.[/quote]

Nope don't wear a watch! I have tried turning off everything electrical in the room (apart from the combo) and still does it :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='935679' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:00 AM']Usual suspects tend to be mobile phones, fridges or occasionally WiFi networks (especially if there's something transmitting or receiving anywhere near the bass or amp). Sounds like you've eliminated those, though.

Baffled. :)[/quote]

I do use an Airport Extreme base station for my Wi-Fi, but this is in a different room. I have noticed there are quite a few different networks nearby when I do a search on my mac. Could this be the cause I wonder?

[quote name='danweb22' post='935708' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:27 AM']I do use an Airport Extreme base station for my Wi-Fi, but this is in a different room. I have noticed there are quite a few different networks nearby when I do a search on my mac. Could this be the cause I wonder?[/quote]
It's unlikely. They don't [i]usually[/i] cause problems unless something's transmitting or receiving nearby (with my WiFi-connected smartphone lying around while I play, it's like receiving constant Morse-code messages!). There's only one way to find out if it's WiFi... but it won't necessarily be easily to hunt down all the network owners and ask them to switch off for ten minutes while you troubleshoot!

I've also found that just having some other things plugged in on the same mains ring (completely different rooms) can cause a bit of noise too, but I've never had clicking like that. I've just learned to live with a little noise if I'm playing at home. With mobile phones, microwaves, baby monitors and WiFi, there's a lot going on that I'll never be able to eliminate completely.

That said, a regular click sounds [b]really[/b] annoying. You could just use it as a metronome. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='935723' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:38 AM']That said, a regular click sounds [b]really[/b] annoying. You could just use it as a metronome. :rolleyes:[/quote]

:)

I might record the clicking on Ableton and post it on here so people can hear it! Might try a different plug socket in a different room

Can you definitely eliminate it happening in other locations. Sometimes a failing capacitor can cause a regular click - it charges to capacity then quickly discharges at max.

Can you pick it up on say a portable radio? If it is based on location, the only thing I can think of just at this stage is to move the amp (or any other device affected by it) around to see if it gets louder or quieter and see if you can locate the disturbance that way.

Perhaps your being bugged. :)

I have never heard an earthing problem that caused a click not saying it is not possible but I have never encountered it.. I could see how it would be a problem related to the bass but it seems to be present with other gear as well and also goes away when at other locations.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='936300' date='Aug 25 2010, 07:29 PM'][/quote]

I think I may have been mistaken with it being on my Valenti, I had a bit of radio interference with that but no clicking. Sorry for the confusion!!

Like I said with my Cort fretless, there is no noise whatsoever

Edited by danweb22

[quote name='skelf' post='936325' date='Aug 25 2010, 07:45 PM']The only time I ever had clicking coming through speakers was caused by a knackered starter in a fluorescent tube that was being picked up buy the gear plugged into it.[/quote]

Yeah I can see that being a problem, but I haven't any fluorescent tubes in the house. Tried turning the lights off as well but no luck unfortunately

[quote name='skelf' post='936888' date='Aug 26 2010, 10:30 AM']I will have a chat with John East and see if he can suggest anything. I frankly have no idea what it could be having never heard of this before in relation to any of the basses.[/quote]

Thanks Alan, your help is much appreciated :)

[quote name='danweb22' post='934153' date='Aug 23 2010, 08:42 PM']A little help please :)

I practice through a Line 6 Studio 110 and have noticed a regular clicking sound (one click every couple of seconds) coming from the combo!

This problem only seems to be with my ACG and not my Cort Fretless so I am thinking a possible earth problem??

So I think I will try it through my Pro Tools M Box audio interface into my Mac and Ableton Live (no combo, just DI in) and the same thing!!!

I have tried the combo in a different room in the house and this hasn't made a difference.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Sound clip now added (ACG)

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=1401485718.wav"]Click Sound[/url]

and my Cort fretless (no clicking noise)

[url="http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=523440765.wav"]Cort Fretless[/url][/quote]

I've come across a few instances like this, and the problem has never been the bass electronics itself, so far. It's always been electrical interference. It often seems that it must be the bass when one bass exhibits a problem and another doesn't.

Had one recently where all had been fine for a number of years and suddenly a similar problem began. The player tried it with a battery headphone amplifier and found that it was down to the environment, and only occurred at home. I'll see if I can dig out what the cause actually was, had a quick search but unable to find detail.

So my advice would be to try the bass in different environments to confirm whether it is the bass, or not, for sure, first.

If it is the electronics, happy to look at it, and nail the cause.

If not, need a way to track down where it's coming from.

John