Why become a member? ×

Eden Metro compressor problems.

TomTFS

Right, so I just purchased a Metro and it seems there is something wrong with the compressor on CH2.

Setting both channels the same everything works as it should but whenever the comp kicks in on Ch2 it distorts quite badly. I can crank the gain right up on CH1 and it will get rediculously compressed with the compression light on solidly but with no distortion.

If I turn the comp off i can crank the gain right up and no distortion, so it must be comp causing the problem.
I've tried changing the tube inside but that didn't solve the problem.

Is this what it's meant to do?
Is there any way to adjust the compressor internally?
Any other way to solve it?

[quote name='TomTFS' post='933839' date='Aug 23 2010, 04:28 PM']Right, so I just purchased a Metro and it seems there is something wrong with the compressor on CH2.

Setting both channels the same everything works as it should but whenever the comp kicks in on Ch2 it distorts quite badly. I can crank the gain right up on CH1 and it will get rediculously compressed with the compression light on solidly but with no distortion.

If I turn the comp off i can crank the gain right up and no distortion, so it must be comp causing the problem.
I've tried changing the tube inside but that didn't solve the problem.

Is this what it's meant to do?
Is there any way to adjust the compressor internally?
Any other way to solve it?[/quote]
Strangely I got this on my WT550 - a single channel amp - a couple of days ago. I only did two things before it went away:
1. Pulled the 'Enhance' out to disengage the compressor, and pushed it back in again.
2. Pulled the input gain out and then pushed it back in again, to activate and then deactivate the input level pad.

Since then - no problem, it's been fine. The Metro has a similar layout on channel 2 to the WT550 as far as I can see, so is possibly a very similar design. I'll do another check tonight to see if I can get the problem to reoccur.

Make sure the volume control on Ch1 is turned to zero when Ch2 is in use and vice versa. I don't understand the circuitry etc but I found with mine that, is I use Ch2 when the volume is up on Ch1, even when it is switched to Ch2, there is distortion. I'm no expert but I woudl think the compressor would aggravate but might not cause the problem.

Hope it helps.

Tried both suggestions and no luck.

Leaving the volumes down wouldn't really be an option anyways as I got this head so I could use two different channels with two different instruments.

It's definately just the ch2 comp causing the problem as I can max the gain on both channels with no distortion if the comp is off.