Why become a member? ×

American Standard or American Deluxe J Bass?

Bob Da Bass

What bass is it that your upgrading from? and also why a jazz bass in particular?

The trouble is these two jazz basses are quite different, i think one way of looking at it is.

There is hell loads of better basses than the american deluxe that are similar and a similar price, the super jazz market is huge and still growing.

I think the only basses better for being a passive JB for that money arereal vintage, custom shop or the american vintage. The new standard americans are great.

Overall, you really need to go into lots of shops, hold as many basses as possible and you will soon know whats right for you and whats not.

I played a Deluxe in a shop on Saturday, and was very pleasantly suprised by it. The neck was a little too slim when compared to my Sandberg jazz. Sound wise it did it everything from thud to sizzle and i would have liked a passive setting on it, but you cant have everything, eh? Weight wise, pretty light and the finish and set up were pretty much smack on.