Why become a member? ×

crossover in cab?

rmshaw37

hi there!

i have built myself 2 2*10 sealed cabs, sounds great!

up untill i was lazy and took my ampeg 115 to practice today - real low end thud from a ringing the e on a p bass and a 15 - its just got a kinda sexual thing going on!!

i have also sat one 2*10 on top of the 15, both ways round and the sum is just not as good as the individual parts! frequencies become unboostable! sounds nice and round, but just not as good as the 2 2*10s or the 15 by itself.

now, is it possible to put a crossover built into the speaker, as so when they are daisy chained, the lows go to the 15 and the highs go to the 2*10?? 2 amps and a crossover is just not financially viable.

or can i port the 2*10's so they sound as low as the 15,

or port one 2*10 so it sits on top of the 15 and get the almost bi amped sound??

or get 10" guitar speakers, designed not to do the low end??

i'm very new to all this refining stuff, so take it easy on me please!

in summary - i want the 2*10 punch with the 15 real low end

Most of those things are possible, but the first thing to check is that both cabinets are in phase. Connect a 9V battery to each cab and watch which way the cones move. They should both move in the same direction (preferably forward) when you connect the + on your battery to the + on the lead to each cab.

Sorry if that's obvious, but there's no point going any further unless you've done that.

Edited by stevie