Why become a member? ×

My very first attempt with my DAW - comments please

Ou7shined

[quote name='51m0n' post='931124' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:55 PM']Hmmm Reaper does have an[b] autotune[/b] VST built in you know.....

ReaTune IIRC[/quote]
Pfft that sort of thing is for puffs...

... besides I tried it briefly and it didn't make much difference. :) Some of the more exotic tunings were... er... fun to play with.

As for monitoring I use Creative Fatal1ty cans (which tend to be a bit bass heavy - great for COD though :rolleyes:) but then I do my real tweaks through my not unsubstancial audiophile hifi system - as was advised to me by the Dood a short while ago.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='931115' date='Aug 20 2010, 06:42 PM']Thanks.

It makes me cringe too. However as I said (shouted actually) in post #1, I ain't a singer and this version was only an "audio-sketch" for the guitarist to learn from.
But if that's your only critique then I guess I can live with that. I'd be upset if you thought the bass playing was gash :)[/quote]

Dont take it as a criticism. The song is cute and I am waiting for the original record to listen...

Oooh, I like this a lot!

Definitely RHCP/Frusciante-esque influence there.
You should sack the bass player and hire me instead :lol: I'd love to play in a band doing this sort of thing!

Soundwise, I think it's quite good. very impressive if youd didn't have experience before. You got a great bass sound and everything seems to sit well. The drums are a little quiet / not punchy enough.

Ah, the funky chorus bit with the spoken part just came in now (I'm listening as I type)... sooooo RHCP (thinking BSSM album)

You've got a new fan here.

When you're gigging, if you want a RHCP tribute band as support... you know where to find me. We've still never played in Aberdeen yet :)

I can't offer much technical advice... my experince is limited and I never was very satisfied with the results... But it sounds quite good, I think, and I really like the music. Especially the bass. Very very nice Stingray sound and well mixed within the song.

I don't wear a hat, but I'll remove my colourful coat and bow as a sign of respect. :rolleyes:

Love it!

I want more!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='930809' date='Aug 20 2010, 12:23 PM']Nice one. You're absolutely right about the lack of reverb in that track.
I have some on the backing vocals to give them distance from the main vox and a minute amount of "small room" on the guitars (I think you can hear it in the bass intro) but again it's one of those things I need to learn about.
I was worried about the kick before. I'll notch down a bit. Cheers.
I find your mix a little too bright for my ears. Do you think mine lacked top end?[/quote]

I feel the same.
Interesting to hear the two mixes, but the "remaster" one sounds a bit too bright. I understand that he had a limited product to work with and that to make the cymbals shine then everything came up brighter... As it stands, I prefer the original. But I'd mostly change the drums, they're a bit too polite.

I have used a VST plugin called EZDrummer. Pretty easy to use and great sounds. If you're going to do more recording, I'd think of something along those lines. You can program your track in midi, and bring it to life with a VSTi.

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='930372' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:36 PM']I really liked it :) bit RHCP-esque I though.[/quote]

+1 it sounds almost exactly like something of UMPP or something lolz. It takes a long time to learn the art of recording. I like to think of it as a whole new instrument in itself. This is pretty good for a first attempt. Obviously this is a demo just to show to your other band mates and i think you get it across fine in that respect. Btw your pitch isn't perfect but i reckon you have a quite nice singing voice. You should work on your singing and i think you could get something out of it :rolleyes:

Edited by EdwardHimself

I've never heard anything pre Mother's Milk (downloading UMPP now :)) as McNach pointed out BSSM is probably my biggest influence. God knows how many copies of that album I've had since it came out. Saw them at Gig On The Green in Glasgow a few years back, they played all the usual tunes then when they came back for the encore the did Sir Psycho Sexy. I almost died. :rolleyes:

I've been told that I've got an ok voice but I'm just not that way inclined. For a start I can't sing and play bass at the same time (can play guitar and sing but my brains crashes if I try it on bass) and I'm not the type to go up and sing without an instrument to hide behind. I'm probably a bit long in the tooth to think about vocal training anyway but cheers for kind your words.

I suppose the fact that I've always been in heavy bands is the main reason why I've never explored my embarrassing cherub voice. :lol: