Why become a member? ×

Allegry to stainless steel strings?

Mr. Foxen

I've heard of an allergy to nickel strings, but I mostly use steels. Recently my fingertips are trashed, crinkled dry and a flakey. I thought it was down to finger irritation for cleaning electrical bits with meths, and refinishing my bass, but it is persisting now I've been in the office all week. Hoping Elixirs will have the clunk I want.

Well, I'm allergic to nickel strings and use Elixers, but I still have to make sure my hands are moisturised and they still occasionally flare up - I think this may be down to the fact that 99% of basses have nickel silver frets and chrome hardware contains nickel too. Hot practice room = sweat, and that makes for flare ups if you make contact with any of that stuff.

Even when I cut all nickel content out of my strings, hardware and everything else I occasionally get flakey/raw hands though - the best advice really is to treat it with moisturiser before it gets to the point where your skin cracks, as infection makes things 100 times worse. When my hands get really bad, I use fucibet steroid creme and that normally sorts them out in a few days.

• 11 months later...

This seemed to resolve, I've been using DR coloured strings, and old sets. but I jsut stuck a set of Rotosounds on a guys bass and have been palying it, and it is happening again. Dunno if it is the newness or specifically Rotosounds that do it, the steels on my other bass are Ken smiths, they've been on it forever. Maybe it is some sort of chemical on Rotos.