Why become a member? ×

Is it just me or is 2010 a bad year for selling?

Smash

I have just found it frustrating as I haven't really bought any bargains but have sold bargains. There was a moment a few months back when I had for sale a US Fender Precision for £500 with all the trimmings and no one wanted it, then someone bought a Mex Precision for £425 2nd hand without case and I was like is my listing invisible. I know everything has its price which will sell to at the market value at that given time but sometimes you just have to sell to survive. It can be heart wrenching when you see the bass you love and saved for disappear for little money. I feel for people at the moment on little or low incomes, I had a horrible scare when my car insurance has risen by £300 this year and I have 15 years no claims and no convictions, what is the world coming to.

On one hand, its a good year to buy, as things are cheap. However, it's a vicious circle - you make nowt on the stuff you sell, and things are selling slowly. I think I rotate gear, as my collection space is finite at the minute. So if I can't sell, I can't buy - this recently stopped me buying an awesome Warwick Streamer a few days ago!

There are a lot of people selling Warwick basses atm!

As part of the overall picture, it seems that big business was hit hard last year and this year it seems to be our turn. It's a knock on effect, but the initial post about a lack of cheap credit & people being careful is quite correct.

In the contracts I deal with, councils have been cutting back this year (teaching contracts), but corporate clients are beginning to come out of the walls again. (Functions, etc.)

So yes, there is less money around & we're all more loathed to spend it!

[quote name='Smash' post='929466' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:17 AM']Just realised some of my gear this past year has been going out the door way under what I normally would let things go for take a look below:

Genz Benz 6.0 amp for £280 then had to pay fees
USA Jazz Bass for £420 then pay fees
Aguilar GS112 £145
Mexican Jazz Bass £180 then pay fees
Then I have lost count on effects pedals selling them for way under the usual prices

I just cannot sell anything at last years prices, am I alone in this?[/quote]
Its been a mixed year with mid range lower end Fenders still making a quid or two,but so called pro & boutique have fallen out of bed.basses are obviously more difficult to move as theres less players to sell to?
Now a shock came last week I had several items on gumtree & preloved and a dealer contacted me asking....Whats the best you can do on this that and the other,I was expecting him to offer around 50% less than what I had them up for......Then another shock as across the range of 9 instruments( 8 x 6 strings and an 87 Fender Twin)( didnt want any basses though) it worked out a reduction of £700 against my original asking prices,I thought this must be a wind up,but we arranged for him to veiw and low & behold he materialised as planned and with cash,hardly looked over them in a picky way either.
He went on to say he could never find any decent clean instruments even at this price in July August & September and its a yearly problem.Anyone know why???
Anyway deal done,Im happy and Ive found a decent buyer for everything except a bass