Why become a member? ×

Flipping a double bass to lefty

throwoff

I have read conflicting reports all over the internet about doing this!

Personally I am really fleeting with the idea of getting one. It would be more something for me to noodle with at home than something I will ever need to gig!

I was thinking about one of the 3/4 size chaps Thomann sell but I have heard stuff about it being all but impossible to flip a double bass because of the bracing etc inside and that if you put the low string on the other side it could in time bend the neck sideways?!

Any experience on this BC'rs?

EDIT - Also this is not something I am planning to do for at least a year, just need to start getting my info together.
If anyone has a lefty or a cheap righty to be converted (should it be possible) don't offer it to me!
I need to pay off my Warwick Custom and get a new amp before I get one of these.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='Duckyincarnate' post='928777' date='Aug 18 2010, 04:37 PM']I'd say if it is only for noodling you might as well save yourself a big headache and buy a fairly inexpensive EUB. Lefty double basses are few and far between, although I think Thomann might do them.[/quote]
They do,or did,i got one,the 2L model, which the luthier looked over and was very satisfied with,i would recommend it!!

It's not impossible to convert a righty to a leftie although if you're going for something mega-cheap then you'd be better off finding one that was made as (or already converted to) Left Handed as the cost would be quite high. Otherwise you'd need to take the front off, swap the bass bar and sound post positions as well as getting and fitting a new bridge and possibly a new nut too. Also, some, but not all DBs have a chamfer on the fingerboard to give the E string more clearance so you may have to factor that in on top of everything else. That said, bear in mind that an EUB is not an acoustic double bass so if you really want a 'proper' DB experience it would be best to look out for a cheap lefty rather than compromising.