Why become a member? ×

A little help if you would be so kind

InTheory

Hello one and all, ok so it's been a while since i used any effets for my bass so i've been doing a little research online about thebest way to set them up. So i was looking to you guys and girls out there for some assistance or advice if you would be so kind to enlighten me.

so im running my Esp LTD f series 5 strings through the boss TU-2 tuner>> Morley Dual bass wah>>Digitech Bass Driver>>Electro Harmonix Big Muff>>Boss BF-3 Flanger>>compressor (which i will be getting shortly when i can afford it from DHA) and into amp/mbox2

from what i can tell online thats pretty good setup. I have read that people tend to liek to have the wah after the distortion , however i understand thats thats down to personal preference.

what do ya think?

In Theory...

p.s. where should a Whammy pedal come in the chain? i assumed near the start of the chain

Sounds like a perfectly good signal chain to me. Yeah, I would put the Whammy second in your chain, just after your TU-2, helps with tracking to send it as pure a signal as possible. Personally I like to have my compressor near the start of the chain, after my tuner in fact, but that's all personal preference as well, as it helps having a compressor in front of any octavers or synths.

As far as wah before/after your distortion pedals, big personal preference. The wah sound is much more extreme and pronounced when placed AFTER the gain units, think Timmy C, but I prefer to have my distortions after my Wah.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='928005' date='Aug 17 2010, 08:47 PM']Sounds like a perfectly good signal chain to me. Yeah, I would put the Whammy second in your chain, just after your TU-2, helps with tracking to send it as pure a signal as possible. Personally I like to have my compressor near the start of the chain, after my tuner in fact, but that's all personal preference as well, as it helps having a compressor in front of any octavers or synths.

As far as wah before/after your distortion pedals, big personal preference. The wah sound is much more extreme and pronounced when placed AFTER the gain units, think Timmy C, but I prefer to have my distortions after my Wah.[/quote]

Thats great thanks for your help. as withthe wah/dist i will record a track wit hit each way and see what i prefer, thanks again

interesting how different everyone in this thread is so far.

I go for OTT muff fuzz - compression - synth - mammoth fuzz - overdrive - octave - filters - modulations

but even then i mix it up quite often; e.g. i like putting tremolo in front of filter, as square wave trem is great into filter.

+1 re compression in front of synth/octave to help with tracking

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='935346' date='Aug 24 2010, 09:07 PM']I find my compressor better in the end for helping the tracking of my octave because my compressin is set to limit the peaks and not to enhance light playing:

Bass > Tuner > Octave > Overdrive > Distortion > Fuzz > Wah > Compressor > Amp[/quote]
Generally I have my set up. toaster , microwave,distortions & Over Drives, Boosts, George Foreman grill,modulation (tremelo, flangers etc), Wah, Delays & Reverbs, compressors, noise gates, tuners etc and beer pump just before the amp.