Why become a member? ×

The Fender Custom Shop Jaco Tribute?

AttitudeCastle

Hey Everyone!

After getting a few Jaco Pastorious CDs from my dad (he lives in New Orleans now! Practically gave me a bucket of jazz :lol: )

and playing around and trying (yet to no such success) to convince my friend to give me money so "we" can by a squire Fretless :rolleyes:

I got too thinking, just HOW like the orginal home done fretless jazz, that jaco used is teh Fender version,

what i'd like to know mostly is the Removed resistor, does the Fender CS do that?

just how faithful too the story is it! do that have a removed resistor or not? of so is it made with out it or with THEN removed, might be key to tone!

Just wondering if anyone knows, as the squire i (hopelessly, with my lack of any fretless playing) We played had had a resistor removed in hommage, and had different Pots :)

(one last question, how di pots effect tone? like whats the difference between having a 250K and a 500K pot?)

Jeez! I think i need a lie down....

A.C

P.S!
At £2200+ i don't think i can afford to pick one up and see :lol:

Edited by AttitudeCastle

Well there is a Locke thread in the for sale section...

Don't know how like the the bass of doom it is like though.

Although my guess would be it would be made with out the capacitor/resistor(I literally know nothing about the bass sorry) as I doubt adding it and then remov would be the key to the tone.

I do know a bit about pots.
500k generally let through more highs, and with single coils can make the bass sound a little brittle - they a more commonly used on Gibson/epiphanies with humbuckers, as humbuckers generally suck a bit of high in ten effort to buck out the hum.

250k pots chock off some highs, an a more common with fender and single coils as they fatten up the sound a single coil puts out.

I wouldn't use 500k pots on a jazz, especially with 70s pickup spacing as it can sound very dry and brittle on the high end.

[quote name='Waldo' post='925457' date='Aug 15 2010, 11:36 AM']Oh dear, this'll open up a can of worms :lol:[/quote]

My favourite :)

I'm just curious is all!

It seems a very lovely bass (i've seen one from behind [s]bars[/s] glass)

Just wondering if they went all the way with re-creating the Jaco bass, it would certainly be worth it if they did/do!

Eh, Worth it if you want it and have the money mind you! (BTW I'm a HUGE watchmen fan :rolleyes: )

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='925465' date='Aug 15 2010, 11:41 AM']Well there is a Locke thread in the for sale section...

Don't know how like the the bass of doom it is like though.[/quote]

I saw that :) not sure whats going on there but maybe have a snoop later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='925465' date='Aug 15 2010, 11:41 AM']Although my guess would be it would be made with out the capacitor/resistor(I literally know nothing about the bass sorry) as I doubt adding it and then remov would be the key to the tone.[/quote]

You never know! PLus it would be nice if they did! haha it would make me feel warm and fuzzy :rolleyes:

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='925465' date='Aug 15 2010, 11:41 AM']I do know a bit about pots.
500k generally let through more highs, and with single coils can make the bass sound a little brittle - they a more commonly used on Gibson/epiphanies with humbuckers, as humbuckers generally suck a bit of high in ten effort to buck out the hum.

250k pots chock off some highs, an a more common with fender and single coils as they fatten up the sound a single coil puts out.

I wouldn't use 500k pots on a jazz, especially with 70s pickup spacing as it can sound very dry and brittle on the high end.[/quote]

Thanks very much!

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='925468' date='Aug 15 2010, 11:44 AM']My favourite :)

I'm just curious is all!

It seems a very lovely bass (i've seen one from behind [s]bars[/s] glass)

Just wondering if they went all the way with re-creating the Jaco bass, it would certainly be worth it if they did/do!

Eh, Worth it if you want it and have the money mind you! ([b]BTW I'm a HUGE watchmen fa[/b]n :rolleyes: )[/quote]

Good man :lol:

Wasn't having a go or anything, just making reference to that rather explosive thread in the for sale section (which you've seen)

I've met Alan Moore :rolleyes: He lives right near only a few doors from my grand parents and went to school with my dad, albeit my did wasn't kicked out for selling LSD haha! and they were 5 years apart Thought when i met him i was too nervous to do anything =S

I'm actually trying to design a rorschach pattarn bass xD it'll be made in 50 years at this rate though haha :)

Erm, anyway back to the bass!

(i have three copies, one is infront of me right now :lol: )

Ok, if you promise not to laugh I've just hastily recorded a sample of my Jaco Artist Series bass with neck pickup and tone rolled a little back.
Obviously it would sound better with a little brushing up, but it's probably more useful to hear it unadorned!
[attachment=56630:Jaco.wav]