Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude users-

Lfalex v1.1

I'm struggling to find [i]the[/i] strings to use on this!
So far;

Whatever Yamaha shipped it with
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies
Elixir Nanoweb
Ashdown Nickels (I think)
Currently using Stainless Elites

I know Sheehan uses Rotosounds, but I don't like them- die too fast and too rough under the fretting hand.
On other basses I use DR Fatbeams or Sunbeams or Elixirs. One consideration- My Attitude is a 10th Anniversary, and has a Phenolic fretboard rather than Maple.
I play fingerstyle, and favour 40,60,80,100 or 45,65,80,100

Any recommendations would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance!
Alex.

I've gone back to EB Slinkys after trying a few different brands. DR were the best of the alternatives for me. However I used to use Warwick Black Labels in a heavy rock band I was in, and they were great strings, punchy and powerful, but I did find them quite abrassive on the fingers. Great rock strings though.

I've always used rotosound :rolleyes:
haha, i even use the Sheehan set now as i like the even tensions and the growl,
Depends on the sound your after, I had my Attitude strung up with Coated Ernie balls for a while, but i went back to rotosound as i like the feel, Plus my sound is 110% about growl, i've been told to turn it all down but i'm not even half way!
Also got a great roundwound sound from the Attitude
Thats just what i've done, take from it what you will!
You could try the Optima Gold ones haha :) i've been dying to try that out some day!
You could try d'addario strings? I used them on a friends Sheehan style P-bass and it sounded pretty good! very clean and nicely crisp
just my Two pennies

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='922461' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:58 AM']I've always used rotosound :)
...Also got a great roundwound sound from the Attitude.[/quote]

Not a fan of Rotos at all, I'm afraid.
Am I to deduce from the second statement that you use flatwounds? Does Sheehan, too?
I'm not a Fanboy, but none of the strings I've tried sound quite right. And they're all rounds.
I might just have to revert to "Plan A"; DR Fatbeams or Hi-Beams.
Any D'Addario or LaBella recommendations out there?
The Attitude has lots of fundamental output and bags of lower mid-range. It's just that little bit of upper-mid singing and top-end sparkle that's missing.

Thanks for your thoughts so far...

Forgive me, but top end sparkle and Yamaha Attitude don't seem to go together to me. Is it not a bass directed at the big bottom end rather than the sparkly highs? I only assume that from the pickup placement etc, forgive me if I'm totally wrong, I often am.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='922789' date='Aug 12 2010, 02:28 PM']Not a fan of Rotos at all, I'm afraid.
Am I to deduce from the second statement that you use flatwounds? Does Sheehan, too?
I'm not a Fanboy, but none of the strings I've tried sound quite right. And they're all rounds.
I might just have to revert to "Plan A"; DR Fatbeams or Hi-Beams.
Any D'Addario or LaBella recommendations out there?
The Attitude has lots of fundamental output and bags of lower mid-range. It's just that little bit of upper-mid singing and top-end sparkle that's missing.

Thanks for your thoughts so far...[/quote]

Ah! sorry for a late second reply i meant FLATwounds Arg! Sorry for any confusion =S

but till last week i had 2 steve harris strings (E,A)and two Labellas on (D,G)

Sorry!

A-ha! Thanks for that. I had considered a set of Steve Harris Rotos (because flats don't seem to die like their rounds do)
But then again, flatwounds (or tapewound!) would open up a whole new can of worms with
TI flats, Optima golds and Rotosound entering the fray!
Thanks again for the help. I'll keep on going until I find the right set and post back.

[i]"I'm going outside. I may be some time"[/i]

(So don't hold your breath!!!!) :)